What to do if dr gives u hard time for revision?

Chloe9926
on 1/27/14 3:51 am

I was sleeved 2008. Weight b4 surgery 398 lowest weight 302 current weight 350. I sucked up my pride and went back to my wls almost argued with me that my sleeve couldn't have stretched. And he would consider a resleeve or an addition of a lap band. Has anyone heard of this?  I go for my X-ray to c if it stretched on the 5th I really need advise!!!!

Hislady
on 1/27/14 8:33 am - Vancouver, WA

You would have to work at it but sleeves can stretch some but they remove the stretchiest part during surgery. It also depends on how big he made the sleeve, however even people with big sleeve sizes can still lose weigh just have to work at it a little harder. From what I have read and I'm far from an expert but re-sleeving is fairly risky because you are dealing with already damaged tissue and I've never heard of them putting a band on a sleeve (on an RNY procedure yes) never a sleeve tho. Have you been totally honest with yourself about how much, how often or what you eat. Keeping the calories between 600-800 when trying to lose, keeping a food journal and "under eating" your sleeve? That means eating until just satisfied not full. Are you an emotional eater? In that case counseling might be a better option. I would start tho by journaling your food for a week eating the way you normally do then you can see where you need to work at. Then journal for awhile to see if you can keep the calories lower and see if that works. Good luck to you hope this helps.

pineview01
on 1/28/14 11:28 am - Davison, MI

You need to see another surgeon.  Your's must only do RNY, VSG & band, otherwise he would be recommending you get the DS which is the second stage of your surgery, the sleeve.  If he is giving you the choice of re-sleeve or band, I'd run.

If the sleeve stretched either a) it wasn't done as well as it should have been or b) you stretched it by over eating and that would take eating to over full constantly.

Now reason you didn't lose enough can be a above and/or bad food choices.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sherrie P.
on 1/29/14 9:34 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Yes - you need to inquire about the DS.

Good luck!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/29/14 1:42 pm

Run from that surgeon! He's reluctant because he does not have to tools in his toolbag (limited skills) that you need. You have the first half of the most effective WLS available, so find a surgeon that actually knows how to do the DS. I'm not sure what your BMI is, but at your weight I suspect you have metabolic things going on, and likely need the metabolic help of the DS.

And you should have SLAPPED him at the mere mention of the band. 

Most Active