Weight Loss is slow after a Revision

Karen M.
on 1/28/14 4:35 am

Hi Forum 

I had a revision on December 6,2014 does any one know why is weight loss so slow? I do watch my intake but I can eat much more this time then I could with my first surgery in 2009. 

It seems like I lost maybe 7 lbs according to my scale .

Will it get any better 

pineview01
on 1/28/14 11:35 am - Davison, MI

I am guessing you meant 2013, what was your revision to and from?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Karen M.
on 1/28/14 1:27 pm

"TYPO " Yes my revision was 12/06 /13 I had a (gastic bypass) and I had a revision a distal gastic bypass.

pineview01
on 1/29/14 6:44 am - Davison, MI

If you read back in the post you will find most lose very slowly with the RNY to RNY revision.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Ladytazz
on 1/29/14 10:18 am

Did your surgeon do anything to your pouch?  If not then of course you will be able to eat more then you did the first time.  Have you made changes in your eating to maximize your weight loss?  Cut out the refined carbs and increase the protein.  A distal surgery means you malabsorb more but mainly only fats and protein.  Simple carbs are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you  have so if you continue to eat those you won't lose weight.  To take advantage of the malabsorption eat full fat things and high protein and watch the carbs.  Complex carbs are somewhat malabsorbed but not as much as fats are.

I hope your surgeon also gave you guidelines regarding your increased need to supplement and also to monitor your labs.  Vitalady had a distal RNY and has excellent advice to help you.  She is great at answering emails, too, and also has pre packaged supplements for your surgery type to make it easier to get started.  Most start on her plan and then adjust as indicated by their labs.  More malabsorption means more risk of deficiencies so please stay on top of it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

DrAceves
on 1/30/14 1:34 am - Mexico

The weight loss is more gradual and slower with a revision like the one you had done. You do not mention if your pouch and/or stoma were revised, this may  also account for  the difference in weight loss speed  you are seeing.  Make sure you  continue to  follow the nutritional guidelines your doctor gave you and give it time.    You need to be more patient this second time around. 

Good Luck

Alberto Aceves

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

connie S.
on 2/4/14 6:10 am - runaway bay, TX

be patient!

band2sleeverevision
on 2/9/14 1:15 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Slow and steady wins the race.

1) You need to log everything going into your mouth and make sure you're within the guidelines (600-800 calories, less than 50 grams carb, 60-80 grams protein, water 64 oz.)

2) As a revision patient from a lap band to sleeve, I can eat more than the virgin sleevers.  Doesn't mean I have to:) Eat your protein and then fill up with green leafy vegetables if you're still hungry.

3) Exercise.  Walking is great, try for 45 minutes plus a day, every day. It's more important for a revision patient because you need to rev that metabolism. Lift weights as well.

You'll get there but it will be harder than it was the first time.

Most Active