Revision from RNY to DS

stacyinohio
on 1/2/14 2:01 am, edited 1/2/14 2:02 am

I keep coming across conflicting information. Some websites say that it is rare to find a surgeon who will do a revision from RNY to DS.  Other sites say yes and based on the posts I've seen in this forum after doing some digging around this morning, it seems like several OH'ers say it's a good option and have recommended it to a lot of people in this forum.  

My original surgeon is no longer performing bariatric surgery (I'm in Dayton, Ohio) so I need to find someone new.  Since I'm specifically looking for a surgeon who will do RNY to DS, I guess I just need to start making some phone calls?  Also, have any of you had a revision from RNY to DS and how have you done with it?

I'm pretty well educated (like all of you) and I've seen facts...just more or less looking for any personal stories any of you can share.  :) 

Thanks. 

stacyinohio
on 1/2/14 4:44 am

Just wanted to follow up that I did some checking and it appears that no one in my area will do do a revision of an RNY to DS.  They said it was too risky.  

One office said that would do a RNY to a "long limb RNY"....

The other surgeon's office said they would do a "Rose Procedure".  

I know nothing about either one so I better so some searching....

MsBatt
on 1/2/14 7:08 am

Here's a list of vetted RNY-to-DS surgeons. You most likely will have to travel, but it's SO worth it! A long-limb RNY has a lot of vitamin issues---I suggest you contact Vatalady about that. She and her husband are nearly 20 years post-op from long-limb RNYs. The Rose procedure is pretty worthless---it attemps to tighten the stoma, but most people lose about 20 pounds, then gain it right back.

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil
  Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum are also experienced surgeons, but please use caution, and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!

pineview01
on 1/5/14 3:38 pm - Davison, MI

There used to be a Doctor in Michigan on the list when I check a couple years ago.  I think it was Paul Kemmeter.  Do you know why he was taken off the short list.?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Vivian Prouty
on 1/15/14 9:11 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Dr. Stewart in Texas passed away about a year ago suddenly.   He was a AMAZING surgeon.   Not sure if anyone in his office can do it but it wouldn't hurt checking.    

Hugs and blessings ~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Vivian Prouty
on 1/15/14 9:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I will put my 2 cents in about this.   The Rose Procedure doesn't work.   I know several people who have had this done.   I'm not sure about the long limb RNY.    As far as going from RNY to DS I have heard it is a extremely difficult surgery to do  but can be done.   Risky....I would think yes....I have heard ( Not sure if it's true just what a PA told me ) that they have to reverse the RNY then do the DS.....if this is true then it would be risky and difficult to do.   Good luck to you in your journey and i hope you find a surgeon who will help you.   Prayers coming your way !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

LaToya S.
on 1/5/14 6:14 am - Edwardsville, IL
Also try The University of Chicago Bariatric Program. I think they will.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

shel2
on 1/15/14 9:00 pm

Suburban surgical group in chicago, IL.  Dr. James Kane JR

MsBatt
on 1/22/14 3:43 am
On January 16, 2014 at 5:00 AM Pacific Time, shel2 wrote:

Suburban surgical group in chicago, IL.  Dr. James Kane JR

How many of these has Dr. Kane done? It would be nice to add another surgeon to the list.

macrobin
on 1/22/14 3:28 am

Two local friends of mine had their RNY revised to a DS and both died shortly afterward.  I personally think it's not worth the risk of death.

Most Active