Revising from sleeve to RNY and hiatal hernia

Heidi V.
on 1/1/14 11:32 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

Hi Everybody! 

I haven't been on this site for over a year. I had a sleeve done in May 2011, and 13 months later, I began having very severe acid reflux. When this started, I felt starved. I was feeling so hungry that I would wake up all night to eat. So, I have gained back 60 pounds of the 100 pounds I lost. I went to see a local bariatric surgeon, who had me do many tests. What he found was a hiatal hernia, and my stomach has moved up 3-4cm into my esophagus, over my diaphragm. So, on January 13, 2014, I will be having the hernia repaired and my sleeve revised to an RNY.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I could really use some advice.

thanks! Heidi

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

pineview01
on 1/1/14 2:25 pm - Davison, MI

They do realize it could be the HH causing all the problems and you may not need another surgery right?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Heidi V.
on 1/1/14 5:18 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

He said that my sleeve is quite distended, so a revision will be necessary. He would prefer to revise it to the RNY so that I won't have anymore problems with acid reflux.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/2/14 6:55 am

Gagner is suggesting another surgery? Too bad you are so far north of the good revision surgeons, because it's a shame to go through a surgery that may be unnecessary, especially to end up with a pouch and lose your pyloric valve.

Two other common reasons for reflux (and both certainly were for me) are weight gain, and eating at night. I hope you get things resolved.

MsBatt
on 1/2/14 7:10 am

There is no guarantee that the RNY will cure your reflux.

LaToya S.
on 1/5/14 6:19 am - Edwardsville, IL
Keep us updated? Does your surgeon not do the DS?

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Heidi V.
on 1/5/14 6:35 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

Yes, the surgeon does the DS, but that scares me. He did a barium swallow and a gastroscopy, and the hernia is definitely causing the heartburn. 

jondakay
on 1/5/14 7:17 am

I had a similar experience. I had a lap band almost 7  years ago. I had reflux really bad prior to surgery. The last 2 years had become intolerable with reflux to where I had aspiration pnemonia about 20 times. Anyhow, I had the lap band removed and a RNY done 12/16/13. From the time I woke up, my reflux was better! I feel so much better I can't even tell you. I have lost 15 #. My surgeon told me that the RNY would be the best fix for my reflux and indeed it has worked very well for me. I also had a hernia that went away with the removal of the band. I know I had a band vs sleeve; but it has been very much worth it to me!

Good luck with your decision, hope I helped. 

Heidi V.
on 1/5/14 7:33 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

Hi! Yes, that helps me a lot.

I haven't had any motivation in the past 18 months. It has only been a nightmare. When I hear somebody else's experience which has been similar to my own, I want to hear the outcome. Thank you!

cindyj578
on 1/13/14 7:12 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

I have had the same problem.  Since I have had my sleeve, I have developed severe reflux.  I have been through many test and and my team of physicians have all agreed that my only chance for recovery is the RNY.  It isn't just the stomach acid that is our problem, it is the bile reflux, and by having the bypass done, we no longer have the bile acid refluxing into our espohagus.  Good luck with your RNY.  

Cindy 

Most Active