Revision to RNY?

Katarinah4
on 12/30/13 4:59 pm

I had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG) over 25 years ago.  All I got from the surgery w as chronic nausea and vomiting (everyday) and maladaptive eating habits.  Needless to say my weight remained a major issue for me.  I recently found a bariatric surgeon who suggested that a reversal or a revision to a RNY were possible.  I chose the RNY and am now having second thoughts.  I sought out help because of complications from the VBG.  I have not been able to eat solid foods for 18 months,  have had stage D esophagitis and now have Barrett's Esophagus.  I am within 60 lbs of my goal weight.  I am miserable as I also have hernias and an obstruction.  I started the revision journey in September and am still waiting for a surgery date.  I just want to be healthy and symptom free.  Am I trading one set of symptoms for another if I get a revision to a RNY.  I am in my mid sixties and am tired of sitting on the fence.  Is there anyone out there who has had this experience and had a successful reversal or revision?

motomama
on 1/1/14 8:03 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

When they do the revision most surgeons will also do hernia repairs, since you are doubting your decision, have you thought about just having your hernias and obstruction taken care of? 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

pineview01
on 1/1/14 2:30 pm - Davison, MI

Many have revised from the old VBG to other surgeries and have done well.  It was a poor WLS like the band is.  It too has caused many to develop Barrett's Esophagus.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active