Surgery Tomorrow

N. K
on 12/29/13 3:16 am

I am having my lap band removed tomorrow while excited my family have me nervous. Ughhh. Well while I am excited to have it removed I am wanting to have the DS done by either Dr. Elariny or Dr. Rajan Sudan which ever one I can afford, but my family is really making me feel nervous about getting the next procedure done. They believe I can do it on my own but at 5'10" 355lbs it is hard. My mom only know of a personal horror story of one of her coworkers so that is what is stuck in her head. I have a four year old son that is the main reason I want to have another surgery and hopefully it will be the right one so I can be more active for his sake. I know with all surgeries come risks and more risks with the DS but now I am stuck at what to do. I have decided I will invest in a treadclimber when I get my taxes and actually get on it and see what success I have by the summer.

I am just venting but please give me your advice. Also if you had your lap band removed how long did that surgery take?

Hislady
on 12/29/13 8:47 am - Vancouver, WA

Unfortunately having a lap band is kinda like having no surgery at all for many of us, it is only somewhat effective. It has about a 50% failure to lose weight record. So not being able to lose with it is no surprise. Yes the DS is more invasive but it works and the band doesn't so there is your answer. There are many more successful people with the DS, I'm sure MsBatt will be along to share her story! kissIt won't hurt to have the tread climber even if you have the DS because you'll want to tighten those sexy new muscles you find! There are horror stories for every kind of surgery so you just have to take them with a grain of salt and carry on.

rivieramaya05
on 12/29/13 9:30 am - TX
VSG on 12/16/13

If you could do it in your own, wouldn't you have already? It really makes me mad when people, especially family members, don't understand that part of this is an addiction. I was just sleeved after having a band for 5 years. Five years of compliance and no weight loss in the past three years. So frustrating! I was skeptical a sleeve would actually work. After all, I was so let down by the band. I'm already so glad I was sleeved. I was able to eat part of banana and it didn't get stuck like it would have with the band. I'm only three weeks out but I am amazed at how little I can eat. I am full after a cup of food. Again, that was what the band should have offered but didn't. I've lost 25 lbs in three weeks and I'm praying it continues.

good luck tomorrow! Praying for you and your doctors 

N. K
on 1/1/14 4:05 am

Thanks guys for your post.

pineview01
on 1/1/14 2:05 pm - Davison, MI

My daughter had her sleeve over 3 years ago.  My Mom saw her at my brothers wake and says, "I see you are still skinny, My cousin had it and died."    She doesn't see her in a couple years and this is what she says.  Don't listen to them, do what is best for you.

By the way my Mom doesn't know the difference between any of the surgeries and is jealous of the 4 of us that have had VSG and DS and are doing well.  I had the crap band and as stated, it doesn't work in over 50% of those 3-5 years out and is know being admitted isn't going to last over 10 years.

Go for it!  You will be glad you did.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active