RNY Revision Post Ops ?

teresara
on 12/15/13 9:07 am - Miami, FL

I had a RNY in April 2000, lost 160 pounds and kept it off for about 6 years. After that the weight gain has been non stop. Now I have all my weight back. What I want to know is about other Post Op RNY to RNY revision patients. Does it work? I cant travel nor afford out of pocket or finance a DS. I am aware that DS would be the most efective revision but unfortunately its out of my reach. Starting January I will have my insurance that more than likely will cover a revision. Please anybody who can tell my their outcome with a RNY to RNY revision? Lapband is a waste of money and time I know that.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/13 11:58 am

If you have a had a proximal RNY, I think that you can ask for a longer limb or distal. The studies on this are dismal, but ask people with experience. The reason that I say this is what I have personally observed over the past 10 years. The proximal RNY is less tan 150 cm. Among the ed centers in New England, there is one that takes this to the absolute limit. This center does 150 cm that is what the insurance witll cover. (Most insurance will cover 150 or less.) All of the WOMEN (that I know) that have had their RNY at this one medical center by one particular physician that has since retired,are ALL thinner than all of the WOMEN that I know that have had their surgery  at all of the other centers. I have no scientific evidence, just my eyes. The women that this surgeon at this medical center bypassed turn out Hollywood thin. They also do NOT do lapband.I called them when I was going to have my lapband and was told that they didn't do it because it didn't work. I wish I had listened, but no, I have to learn things the hard way! I even thought of having my band out and then going there for RNY. After a long and serious consideration, I decided I wanted one surgery and my goal is to be healthy not Hollywood skinny. I do think that my unscientific observation is something to consider, though. I think the longer limb helps people lose more weight. I honestly and truly do not know if the more malabsorption is unhealthy, but I know that there are many people here that can answer your questions and point you in the right direction. Good luck in your journey of collecting good information/

MsBatt
on 12/22/13 1:56 am
On December 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, nyry wrote:

If you have a had a proximal RNY, I think that you can ask for a longer limb or distal. The studies on this are dismal, but ask people with experience. The reason that I say this is what I have personally observed over the past 10 years. The proximal RNY is less tan 150 cm. Among the ed centers in New England, there is one that takes this to the absolute limit. This center does 150 cm that is what the insurance witll cover. (Most insurance will cover 150 or less.) All of the WOMEN (that I know) that have had their RNY at this one medical center by one particular physician that has since retired,are ALL thinner than all of the WOMEN that I know that have had their surgery  at all of the other centers. I have no scientific evidence, just my eyes. The women that this surgeon at this medical center bypassed turn out Hollywood thin. They also do NOT do lapband.I called them when I was going to have my lapband and was told that they didn't do it because it didn't work. I wish I had listened, but no, I have to learn things the hard way! I even thought of having my band out and then going there for RNY. After a long and serious consideration, I decided I wanted one surgery and my goal is to be healthy not Hollywood skinny. I do think that my unscientific observation is something to consider, though. I think the longer limb helps people lose more weight. I honestly and truly do not know if the more malabsorption is unhealthy, but I know that there are many people here that can answer your questions and point you in the right direction. Good luck in your journey of collecting good information/

Have you already revised from your Band, or are you still awaiting a revision? If you're seriously considering a distal/extended RNY, you really should research the Duodenal Switch also. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, with fewer potential complications than the distal RNY. Plus you still have a fully-functional stomach, and can take NSAIDs.

QoftheU
on 12/22/13 10:11 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
She very specifically stated she can't afford, nor does her insurance cover, the DS. Just sayin'...

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

teresara
on 1/6/14 3:16 pm - Miami, FL

That is correct QoftheU....lol...

teresara
on 1/6/14 3:15 pm - Miami, FL
teresara
on 1/6/14 3:18 pm - Miami, FL

Thank you...

MsBatt
on 12/22/13 1:57 am

If you're considering revising to a distal RNY, you should contact Michelle Curran, aka Vitalady. She and her husband are both nearly 20 years post-op from the distal RNY.

Andie
on 12/31/13 2:46 pm - FRANKFORT, OH

Can you tell us how to get ahold of this couple?  Thanks

AngelicMythology
on 1/3/14 9:26 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

This month I will be one year out from my RNY revision. Things have been okay. My loss has been slow but it's coming off. I started at 235 and am at 157 right this moment. I would still like to lose about 10 more. I'm still losing but it's like 1 - 2 pounds a month now. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Most Active