DIfference Between revision of sleeve to Ds and sleeve to rny

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/13 10:25 am - Lower Burrell, PA

What are the differences?  I thought the second part of ds was to do the rny? I had my heart set on ds... I'm six month and a half months out from my sleeve, which I chose so that if a surgeon near me started doing ds i was half way there, Now all of the surgeons in my insurance do the ds. I'm wondering what the difference is between the rny from sleeve and the ds are? Also is it too late for me to have ds? is it too soon for a revision or can I just be honest and tell them that I wanted ds to start with and couldn't find a surgeon within 300 miles that did the surgery? I couldn't go the 500 miles i needed to for the ds because of my children. Sooooo what do you guys think? I really need some advice here. I love my sleeve but am not happy with it. I quit loosing weight in september 1, and feel that I am basically in maintaince now. I am still not near where I want to be and still obese. My asthma is still bad, I still have issues with high blood pressure etc. Sleep apnea is still BAD. ( which qualified me for the surgery in the first place)

Ladytazz
on 11/25/13 3:00 pm

The best revision for the sleeve is the DS.  In fact, the sleeve wasn't a stand alone surgery until fairly recently.  Before that it was part of the DS but some surgeons choose to do the sleeve first if the patient  wasn't in good enough condition to undergo the full surgery, mainly to lose enough weight to make the full DS safer but then many patients did so well with just the sleeve that they didn't need the full surgery.

You have a lot to consider.  First, will your insurance cover it?  Some insurance companies are going with a one WLS per lifetime clause, even if they didn't pay for the first WLS.

Second, some surgeons, and insurance companies won't do a revision until a couple of years out.  Also, you may have lost enough weight to no longer qualify for WLS, including a revision unless there is a medical necessity for a revision.  You would have to pay out of your pocket and that would be if you could find a surgeon to perform the DS at this point.

I would not have a revision to a RNY from a sleeve (even though technically I did) unless there were a reason such as severe GERD (which I had).  In that case the RNY could probably cure the GERD but barring that I wouldn't consider a revision to a RNY and you should run from any surgeon who insisted on doing a RNY revision without a good reason.

If there are surgeons near you that now do the DS you could always try to contact them and get their take and also contact your insurance company and find out if they would pay for a revision and if so under what cir****tances.  The surgeon may feel you  haven't given your sleeve a good chance.  

Why do you think you have stopped losing weight?  If it is because you are eating a lot of simple carbs like sugar and flour then the DS won't help you because those things are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you have.  For the DS to be effective it is best to have a diet high in protein and fats since those are malabsorbed the most with the DS.  You might try eating like you have a DS to see if it is something you could live with.  If you are able to quit eating the refined carbs you may find you don't need a revision after all.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

acypert
on 11/29/13 12:01 pm - OK
VSG on 07/30/12

could you please email me. I am waiting on insurance approval for RNY. I have already had the sleeve done and have lost 100 pounds but I have a kink in my sleeve that has been ballooned twice and did not work. I would like to visit with you on your revision about recovery, dumping, malabsorbtion, vitamin deficiencies, ect. I have experienced all this with the sleeve already due to the issues i am having. But I'm a little scared of the rny. all this issues i have mentioned is exactly why i chose not to have that one in the first place but now I have to, to bypass the kink. not to lose more weight. 

hollykim
on 11/26/13 10:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I completely agree with Ladytazz.

MsBatt
on 11/29/13 11:29 am

The Slleve is the stomach portion of the DS. Revising you to a DS at this point would mean only adding the intestinal part, the 'Switch'. Revising you to an RNY would destroy your Sleeve, remove your pylorus, and make any further revision impossible.

Both the DS and the RNY cause malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, forever. However, the DS also causes permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat. This makes maintaining your weight loss much easier, long-term.

Most Active