Revision from sleeve to gastric bypass

hollykim
on 12/1/13 1:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

have u considered Mexico? The price is a fraction of the US price. Dr. Aceves is used by a large number of revision patients. 

GL

Karen M.
on 12/1/13 1:55 am

Hi Yvonne

My surgeon is Dr.Alexander and I am covered  with insurance as well . My surgery is schedule for Friday I getting a revision . Did you ask if you could be on a payment plan?  

Karen M.
on 12/1/13 2:02 am

Hi Motomama

I see you stated you have some complications with healing may I ask what were they ? I schedule Friday for my revision  with Dr.A . I'm very excited and scared all at the same time. I'm off to Walmart to get all my Liquids and Soft foods stock up.

motomama
on 12/1/13 3:58 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

So happy to hear you have your revision scheduled.  My complication is in how I personally heal.  I have a lot of scar tissue and it has resulted in strictures.  A stricture is basically a blockage, mine is between my new pouch (stomach) and the connection (Stoma) to my intestines .  I've had 6 EGDs with dilation (they take a balloon and inflate it in the stoma)  This procedure is quick but annoying when you have to have so many.  I am doing much better and there really isn't anything that I can do or the doc can do to prevent it since it is related to how I heal which is to over produce scar tissue. 

This is where Dr. A and his staff have shined in my opinion.  They have been great, when I call the office (even after hours or on the weekends) I get to speak with Dr. A (during the day, ask for Jennifer Scott and she'll get you to Dr. A or act as a go between).  The staff works me into his surgery schedule whenever I need help.   My recovery has been "trying" but I am getting through it.  One thing to remember is if you start throwing up or feel like you can't get any liquids down, call Dr. A ASAP.

Below is a list of things that I've found I can not tolerate after surgery:

1) Dairy products, my new stomach doesn't like dairy and I've read that this isn't uncommon after surgery.  Weird thing is that on some days I can eat it and on other days I can not.  I am fine with yogurt but not with milk in soup.  I can eat cream of chicken soup if I make it with water or broth, but not when I make it with milk.  

2) crystal light:  made me foamy and i didn't even know that was the problem told Dr. A about it and he said, stop drinking crystal light- it's the artificial sweetener in it.  

3) spicier foods....I love spicy food so this has been a pain, but I think it will go away as I try new foods. 

Right now, the toughest thing for me is testing what I can eat.  It's kind of trial and error and I've heard this from others- and just because I tolerated something one day, doesn't mean I will tolerate it the next.  Again, I think this is just part of recovery and not a life long thing.

Good luck with your procedure and recovery.  Post to OH your successes and your issues, everyone is very encouraging and helpful- we are here for you. 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Karen M.
on 12/1/13 8:02 am

kiss Thank you so much for all the information I really appreciate it. I am really trying to prepare my self for all the new changes.

I will keep OH UPDATED on my journey 

MsBatt
on 12/2/13 4:09 am

I really think you'd be bettere satisfied long-term if you just add the 'switch' to your existing Sleeve, for a full DS. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. And if you convert your Sleeve to an RNY, there can be no further revision, so think long and hard about what you want the rest of your life to be like.

Most Active