Looking for information

DianneP
on 11/11/13 2:00 am - Bristow, VA
Lap Band on 09/15/13

Hi,

Just had my band removed (my sad story is down the forum aways).  Reading this forum, the band seems to be an abject failure.  Since 2008, I have not kept up on the news, until I once again opened the OH site.  Are there articles/books on the subject?  I really want to know WHAT CAUSES the bands to fail/erode.

Thanks.

DIANNE

Hislady
on 11/11/13 3:04 am - Vancouver, WA

I don't know of any particular articles but if you go to Facebook there are lots of groups for failed bands. Join anyone of them and you will get lots of info. It is just a bad product that only works for a very few people. The biggest issue seems to be scar tissue.

DianneP
on 11/11/13 4:55 am - Bristow, VA
Lap Band on 09/15/13

Thanks, I will check out Facebook.  What bugs me is before banding, everyone was so positive - never once was the subject of erosion brought up - and I went to many seminars put on by the surgical group.  I blame myself for not doing due diligence.  We all  believed this was the magic bullet, so EASY!

DIANNE

pineview01
on 11/11/13 8:29 am - Davison, MI

There is a group here, failed bands.  Lots of info and stories to read thru.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

airbender
on 11/11/13 10:37 am
DianneP
on 11/16/13 4:20 am - Bristow, VA
Lap Band on 09/15/13

Thanks so much - very informitive

DIANNE

kbinaz
on 11/14/13 10:28 am

I had revision surgery - lapband to RNY on November 4th.  My surgeon, who does a lot of revision surgeries (because she will do it in one surgery) says she thinks she has discovered why a lot of lap bands fail.  When the band forms scar tissue it has a tendency to adhere to the liver.  When it does that it tilts the band, changing the angle at which it was originally put it.  That angle determines how effective the band is.  This is why I did really well in the beginning (before the band adhered to my liver) and over time the band stopped working.  I had no erosion whatsover and my band was intact, but the angle was changed and there was a lot of scar tissue adhering the band to my liver.  Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

Most Active