revision from ds- re sleeve or medial (xpost)

cmt_seattle
on 11/9/13 10:39 am

Hi all,

I had a DS in 2007.  My lowest weight was 190 (5'7)..over the past 2 years I have gotten back up to 225.  I am in the process of looking into a revision with Dr. Shrikath here in Seattle.  He has given me two choices.  Re-sleeve (b/c it is stretched)  or convert to medial.  The medial I don't know much about and it would be a hybrid.  With the medial, He would lengthen my common channel b/c it is 75cm now and I am having some issues with anemia, osteo, vit dif. . 

I know I need to get back on track. Things went well after the ds, weight was coming off.. met my now husband and stopped thinking about doing the things that needed to be done.  I am wanting to to a revision to get back on track and get down to my goal weight of 165ish..  I don't know yet if insurance will approve and I am not sure if it is worth the risk of another surgery.. still trying to figure out what to do.

Any thoughts??

Catherine

(xpost to ds board too)

Ladytazz
on 11/9/13 11:23 am

I've sent you a few messages but I also wanted to point out that if Dr. Shirkath does convert you to a medial without reducing your sleeve you will most likely have even more regain with less malabsorption.  A 75 cc common channel is pretty small so I assume he wants to make it longer.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cmt_seattle
on 11/10/13 1:53 am

Hi L,

I tried to reply to your messages privately but for some reason, it won't work!  Neither my laptop nor my mobile will allow me to type in a reply. I have sent a message to OH to see what the issue is!

When I get that resolved I will email you so we can chat a bit more :)

Thank you for your replies!

Catherine

pineview01
on 11/9/13 12:24 pm - Davison, MI

My sister had to have her sleeve stretched as she was losing too much.  I don't know how long her common channel is b/c she doesn't know.  Good luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cmt_seattle
on 11/10/13 1:54 am

Thanks for the reply :)

Most Active