Revision RNY gastric bypass

MSSEXXC74
on 11/6/13 8:27 am

I hope everything went great.  You didn't fail the surgery the surgery failed you.

motomama
on 11/6/13 9:48 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Good luck to you.  I am also a patient of Dr. A's.  He did my band to RNY revision on 9/6.  While I've had some issues post op, I've been extremely pleased with Dr. A and his staff.  Something to know about him is that you can walk into his office at anytime without an appointment (you may have to wait a while but they will work you in).  I've contacted him on weekend evenings and he's always been prompt to call me back.  Jennifer Scott is the office manager and she is a great resource.   

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Karen M.
on 11/6/13 10:59 am

Audrey I having been praying for you and wishing you a speedy recover ..today is your new birthday ..soon as your better please keep us posted.

audreya43
on 11/8/13 9:12 pm

Good morning all! My revision surgery was on Wed (Nov 6) and I was discharged on Friday (Nov 8). There were problems with high blood pressure due to pain. The pain was not anything I didn't expect...pain is pain...and because of stomach pain my blood pressure remained elevated for about 24 hrs. I have 7 incisions all above my naval that are no more than about an inch in diameter. Some have 1 staple...others have as many as 4 staples. I return to Dr A in about 2 1/2 weeks to remove them.

They had me up and walking the same night as surgery. I didn't want to...didn't think I could because I was so dizzy but I made it! Walking helped more than I remembered. I had awful gas and still have some. Was told to get GasX thin strips as they melt on your tongue and they've helped tremendously...so go ahead and have those at home when you return from the hospital. Since day one I've honestly not had much pain...more soreness and gas. I did have a little discomfort in one of the incision areas this morning and went ahead and took pain meds. After about 10 minutes there was no pain or discomfort at all...thank you Lord!

Turns out they had to repair a hernia. I went into surgery around 12noon or so and surgery was about 3 hrs. I, of course, don't remember anything from the time they gave me anesthesia to when I woke up in my room. Speaking of my room!!! I had a suite. That was clearly God's favor. My room had a large living area, an area for me with my bed and recliner and 5 chairs, and a huge bathroom. Simply beautiful! And so comfortable. Forest Park Medical Center of Dallas is awesome!

Finally, I must give my Lord and Savior all the Glory! Thank you, Jesus, for seeing me through such a major surgery with no lasting complications. I have had hot flashes and night sweats the past year.....I haven't had not ONE since the surgery. Wow....unbelievable...but I'm grateful for that I pray they don't return.

I'm not hungry...can only take down sips at a time but the first few days it hurt to even sip...the hurt/pain was more gassy than anything. It's as if fluids are trying to find their way to the right place or something so I'm really taking it easy.

audreya43
on 11/10/13 8:40 am

Post op 5 days and I'm down 11 lbs! I haven't been hungry...drinking protein shakes and following instructions....walking, walking, walking to get better....just taking it one day at a time. I have a little discomfort in one of the incisions areas but was told to walk several times a day and it'll pass. I'll let you know when it passes! :) It's not severe, thank God, just a pulling/burning sensation from time to time. Otherwise I feel GREAT!!!

Karen M.
on 11/10/13 9:04 am

laugh Wow Audrey!!! I'm very happy and excited it went well for you . yes Get as much rest as possible my day is December 6   four weeks and counting thanks for the update I will get me some gas X this week .I'm also going  stack up on plenty  of liquids. I will be taking off for 2 weeks on my job but will be a total of 4 weeks with the Christmas Holidays. 

Karen M.
on 11/10/13 9:18 am

check your message 

audreya43
on 11/10/13 9:45 am
Hi Karen! That's great timing to be off for completed healng. I pray God blesses you mightily! I plan to return next Monday and it seems I'll be just fine to return after 2 weeks.

The protein drink Dr A gave me is Optisource. They come in strawberry and caramel. It tastes like strawberry ice cream with that aftertaste we all hate but after not having real food for so long now I'll tolerate it and not complain. I have to find a way to get all my protein in...thus far can only drink 1 carton a day and it's only 12 G protein...cartons are small. I'm trying for 2 a day and will increase as much as I can.
Karen M.
on 11/11/13 1:32 am

Sounds good

rnin2011
on 11/11/13 7:17 pm
It is great to hear you are doing so well! I had the RNY in 2005 by dr. Davidson in Dallas at Presby. I went from 275 to 130, but now weigh 197. I am giving myself three months going back to eating the way I should be eating after bypass to see if I can get the regain off. If I cannot I plan on revision. I will probably have a consult with Dr. Alexander, as I should be moved back home to Dallas by that time. Did he resize your pouch? Did he change the anatomy of the small intestine? I am not sure how they revise the RNY, I know some revise to DS but I don't know if I want to do that. Any information is helpful and I hope to read on your continual recovery and weight loss!

Most Active