How many of you are revising to a duodenal switch or thinking of revising to dS?

sunshine1968
on 10/29/13 5:33 am

Would love to hear why you switched or why your thinking about switching. I'm in the process of trying to figure out whether to have the DS or not and would love any input you have to offer.

Member Services
on 10/30/13 1:54 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Sunshine,

We see you have not gotten any responses yet. Try posting this on the Duodenal Switch forum as the members that have revised to a DS may be there.

Regards,

Member Services Team

js__171race
on 10/31/13 3:10 am

I have my consult for lap-band to DS revision next week. my reason being is the DS procedure has the best long term results! after having the band for almost 5 years loosing 40 lbs to begin with and now am heavier than pre-op i dont see the point in having another "band-aid" surgery....

Cindy1976
on 11/3/13 12:36 am
DS on 12/26/14
I'm scheduled to revise from lap band to DS on November 18th. A main factor for me was success rates with the DS. Another was variety of food choices and not having to worry about dumping. After years of not being able to eat more than a bite or two of any "real" food & still failing with the band I couldn't stand the thought of failing again so I had to pick the surgery with the lowest long term failure rate. Although many people like the idea of dumping with the bypass, it sounds just awful to me. I've never responded we'll to negative reinforcement & as one person on a board somewhere wrote, I don't want a surgery that punishes me to that level for a poor choice, I do better with a simple tap on the shoulder than a sledgehammer to the back ya know. Also, not being able to take NSAIDS was a big factor for me. Not that I take them often but I like having the option.

Overall though I'd say the high long term success rate was the main factor for me. I really can't bear the thought of failing again and a third wls is absolutely not an option for me so I had to hedge my bets. I searched far and wide to find failure stories or regrets about DS and found none. I did find some people posting about regains of 10 to 30 pounds but #1 I'd be perfectly ok with that and #2 these are people who LOST 100+ pounds and are talking about getting off 10? Skinny people problems!!! I can wait to have those. Also in my reading I've repeatedly seen people say that regain can be addressed by going low carb for a while.

My unsolicited advice - each surgery has risks, benefits & tradeoffs. Research a LOT and be completely honest with yourself about what you can/will do for life before you decide on a surgery. Be sure you are committed to the investment (time, money, effort for vitamins, protein, exercise, follow up visits, food intolerances, possible complications, etc.) and that the return is worth it.

That's my two cents. Good luck with your decision.
Most Active