RNY revision with Dr. Alexander Nov 1st. Advice for before and after surgery?

Acey
on 10/25/13 1:22 pm - Dallas, TX
Insurance approved my surgery as apparently it isn't really considered a revision from my RNY in 2001. The endoscopy showed where the intestine meets my pouch had stretched so much that food gets trapped and isn't digested. So they are cutting that part out and reattaching the intestine and then cutting a large portion of the disconnected stomach out to reduce hunger ?hormone? Gherlin production.

My surgery is a week away, my life has been so busy I haven't really thought much about it. Now that I am I realize I've been trivializing in many ways what I am about to go through. I've only found 1 person who has had this kind of revisions and would love to talk to others to discuss successes and failures.

Any suggestions for before and after surgery? I'm going to be on a liquid consistency of water diet for 3 weeks and imagine I'm going to have to work to get my protein in. Is 120 gm protein per day the goal? Does anyone know of regularly meeting support groups in Dallas. I think I need to make that part of my aftercare this time.
motomama
on 10/26/13 3:47 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

I had my lapband to RNY revision with Dr A on 9/6.  Where are you having it done?  Forest Park?  I had a tough time with fatigue.  The removal of the area that produces the Gherlin makes a huge difference.  One thing about Dr. Alexander and his office is that they are always there to help.  I have found them to be extremely helpful.  Especially Jennifer Scott.  If you ever need anything call and ask for her.  You can also walk in anytime. 

The first 3 weeks they want you to heal, so the liquids are important.  Make sure you have your medications in order.  That caused me some issues. I take Effexor ER for anxiety and depression.  I failed to taper down before my surgery and had some major withdrawal and anxiety attacks during and after my hospital stay.

I've also had issues with my recovery because my stomach was so beaten up by my lapband.  This has required me to have 3 additional egd's and 3 dilations of my stoma.  Nothing anyone can control it's just how my body heals...I am a slow healer and I build up scar tissue. 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Acey
on 11/7/13 9:37 am - Dallas, TX
Motomama, Jennifer scott is indeed a secret weapon for dr. A. She went a long way to helping me make my decision of what to do. Did u crush your meds and take them how? I'm scared to gulp anything.
pineview01
on 10/26/13 9:54 am - Davison, MI

So are you being left with the pouch of the RNY and the sleeve stomach after the rest is cut away.  Wouldn't it be better to do the RNY to DS revision and have your pyloric valve left intake.  What do they consider you when done with this revision?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Acey
on 11/7/13 9:32 am - Dallas, TX
Pine view, That's a good question I guess just a ray revision?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/27/13 7:11 am

I would never allow my pyloric valve to be removed. RNY to DS revisions can restore it, but once it's cut off, that option is off the table forever, problems or not. 

If it were me, I'd contact Dr Kesheshian in CA, an no one else. Just my opinion on what I'd do if it were me.

ecdsperdue
on 10/27/13 1:28 pm
I'm a patient of Dr. Alexander too. Surgery scheduled Nov 4th at Forest Park Dallas. I know just how you feel. The anticipation is horrible. I try to focus on how I felt when I first chose to do this. Hang in there.
rj0274
on 10/30/13 4:21 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

Good luck with your procedure.  Dr. Alexander did my RNY revision in late June and all is well.  I feel great and I've dropped about 30 lbs. and 3 pant sizes.  Forest Park is a great facility with tremendous, attentive staff.  You will be fine, just make sure you incorporate real lifestyle changes into your routine (i.e. good food choices and EXERCISE! ).  I can now eat just about anything with no problems.  I still have difficulty with some dense foods like steak or roast beef, but as long as I eat slowly, chew thoroughly and have some water (or Crystal Light), everything is OK.

Hang in there during the liquid diet phase - that's about the most frustrating phase.  I've just now begun to eat soup again.  You will do fine!

Acey
on 11/7/13 9:30 am - Dallas, TX
Thank yousomuch for your encouragement! The worst part of surgery seriously was being scared to death that I was going to die on the table when they were getting me prepped. I couldn't stop crying. I was petrified I was going to leave my 4 year old motherless. Right now I can say I hate broth as I'm living on that and crystal light. I have not gotten my protein in at all and am changing my ways tomorrow. The shake things are yuck. I did like the purple crystal light looking protein drink (12gm) in the hospital and had my husband go get me some of those today. I'm also having him find me some sugar free cocoa as the shake one I can barely tolerate the taste of is the Carmel one. thought that might taste sorta like hot chocolate with Carmel. We'll see. Any ideas to get the protien in or did you just buckle down and drink it? I'll be doing my 1st official exercise tomorrow as well, walking and start recording all I do. How is eating? does it feel restricted as it did with original procedure? I feel like I'm hungry but I imagine it's because low proteins and tired of broth.
Acey
on 11/7/13 8:58 am - Dallas, TX
You must be a few days out now and back home. My surgery was on the 1st and was a total walk in the park compared to my last one. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights even though they were talking about sending me home the next day. I wasn't ready for that. I hope you are doing well!
Most Active