How much time between lapband removal and revision surgery???

pineview01
on 10/23/13 11:28 am - Davison, MI

The one surgeon at our center that was suppose to do mine made you only wait 2-4 months.  He left the practice and the one I had want's you to wait 4-6 months.  I had my revision at 4.5 months.  He did have to removed and straighten my insides for 45 before doing the sleeve.

Yes six months is what it takes to have all the healing and swelling to happen.  Most of it is done by 2 months so I wouldn't think he would be all doom and gloom.  Your looking at 5 months right?

I wouldn't be very concerned, this is better than losing the insurance go ahead.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Marla B.
on 10/26/13 12:56 am
Marla B.
on 10/26/13 12:59 am
My surgeon told me he would do the band removal and bypass in the same surgery...
pineview01
on 10/26/13 3:17 am, edited 10/26/13 3:20 am - Davison, MI

It is more common to do a band to RNY in one as they can use the pouch from the band for the pouch of the RNY as they can cut and staple along the damaged line from the band.  With the sleeve you cut perpendicular to the damaged line.  This can end with that area healing and "shrinking" leaving some with a stricture.  This point is also more at risk for leak.  These are the main reason given for the wait.  You have the best chance for not leaking and ending with a properly shaped sleeve.

When getting ANY revision, it is very important to research your surgeon.  Are they a member of the bariatric associations, ASMBS, are they a COE (center of Excellence)  how many revisions of the type you are getting have they done.  Revision have more issues than virgin surgeries so it is even more important to have an experienced surgeon.

Good luck to all those getting revisions!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

motomama
on 10/26/13 4:19 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

I had my band to RNY in one surgery.  I wish I could say that things have been smooth sailing but they have not been.  The band scarred up my stomach pretty bad and I've 3 additional EGD with dilations (the stoma- the bottom of the stomach that connects to intestines).  These are fairly simple but time consuming and each time he's done a dilation he's been more aggressive because my stomach is healed more and able to be stretched more.  I am 7 weeks out now and had my last dilation on Monday 10/21. 

I don't know if I missed it or not, what WLS are you getting in Nov?  RNY, DS or sleeve?  So the gloom and doom may be over kill but you also may end up having to have the stoma dilated (depending on the surgery) during your WLS recovery.  After your surgery make sure you aren't "afraid" to contact your surgeon's office if you think anything isn't going right.  If you are having problems with keeping liquids down, call.  Sorry for the rambling comment, just can't seem to get things worded the way I would like them to be.

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Most Active