How much time between lapband removal and revision surgery???

MrsCMT
on 10/22/13 3:20 am
RNY on 08/14/13

I had my lap band removed August 14 after having it for 7 years. I was successful in my weight loss until it slipped... I am currently back at my original weight. :(  When my surgeon went in to remove the band, he said my stomach was too inflamed and swollen to do the revision and that we would revise in 6 months.  However, my insurance authorization expires December 1 and they are unwilling to extend the date. So, we are scheduling surgery for mid-November. The surgeon seemed very concerned about not giving my stomach enough time to heal - and frankly, he was very gloom and doom.  I asked him if he thought we should fight insurance and he said no. 

So what gives??? Anyone else have their revision in less than 6 months after their band was removed??? Did you have complications?

Thanks!

Hislady
on 10/22/13 5:44 am - Vancouver, WA

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it has some time to settle down. Once the band is gone the inflammation should improve quickly. Some surgeons only wait a few weeks, some wait 6 mos., like yours, but it sounds like with the insurance issue you really don't have much choice. He may just be giving himself an out in case anything does go wrong but I'm sure he will do everything possible to make it come out good. After all what surgeon wants as malpractice suit?! I would however take things very slowly after surgery and follow directions to the "T" so you don't push recovery too hard. Remember after surgery the nerves in your stomach will have been cut so you will not "feel" acurately, so you won't "feel" full or satisfied until those nerves completely heal, So get in the habit of weighing and measuring your foods and always eat only till satisfied not full or stuffed. We tend to have a warped feeling of full, to us full means stuffed not just satisfied. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will do just fine!

MrsCMT
on 10/22/13 6:52 am
RNY on 08/14/13

Thank you for your insight and encouragement.  I'm already freaked out about having another surgery... I have a wonderful husband, a 3 year old son, and a daughter that just turned 1 - All of my dreams have come true - and I don't want to lose them!! I guess that's why his tone has me so on edge. I know there are risks - he just made it seem like the risk is much much bigger now.  Although, without surgery, my quality of life and that of my family's would be much worse. 

Anyways, thank you for the encouragement - I know this is the right thing for me whether it's a couple of weeks from now or a couple of months from now.

Lisa O.
on 10/22/13 12:31 pm - Snoqualmie, WA

My surgeon required 3-4 months healing.  Make sure you are fully aware of any insurance requirement.  I had to do 3 months supervised WL just like the first time.  I had RNY last Monday the 14th.

best,

lisa O. 

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/23/13 1:44 am

Oh wow Lisa!  Good luck with your RNY.  Time flies!!!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

MrsCMT
on 10/23/13 6:31 am
RNY on 08/14/13
Thanks Lisa!!! And congrats on your surgery - I hope all is going well

Zee Starrlite
on 10/23/13 1:43 am, edited 10/23/13 1:44 am

Hmmm that happened with my insurance (my job was switching insurance) when I was supposed to have band removal.  We waited last minute - it was Dec. 20th for surgery - too long a story to tell but I decided not to do the special revision we waited for for months.  We went ahead with just removing.  I stayed unbanded for 6 mos. before my revision. 

I am not sure what your doc saw when he went in but he certainly does not seem confident enough for me. Ask him details and if you do not feel comfortable, seek a consult with a different surgeon.

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

MrsCMT
on 10/23/13 6:30 am
RNY on 08/14/13
I think that's what has me frazzled is his lack of enthusiasm - I'm just praying it will all work out and that he's just being overly cautious.

band2sleeverevision
on 10/23/13 2:11 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I had a band for 10+ years and it slipped and had it out.  I had the sleeve 3 months later.  I would think that in 90 days you'd have all the healing you're going to. I think you'll be fine. 

By the way, make sure you mention this whenever you have an upper GI study or any other radiology.  The radiologist started to have a freak out session on my when she saw my upper GI until I reminded her I'd had a band previously.  The ridge where the band sat for so many years is very noticeable.

MrsCMT
on 10/23/13 6:29 am
RNY on 08/14/13
Thank you for the encouragement and insight! Sometimes I wish I'd never had the band - seems like it has caused way more trouble than it was worth :-/

Most Active