Revision RNY to LapBand - I don't know what else to eat.

BevAG
on 10/17/13 3:23 am

It's Thursday.  I had what appears to be a successful lapband put on last Friday.  I just don't know what to eat.  I have great Whey protein, but it tastes horrible with jus****er.  I've put it in some tomato soup. 

I want some better choices, but I don't want to go off what is good for me.  I am now very clear that is how my successful RNY surgery of seven years ago led me to gain 80 pounds back.  I made poor choices of food after a few years.  I don't want to do that again.

Anyone have suggestions? 

P.S. I love this website.  You just get so much information.  Thank you. :)

motomama
on 10/17/13 4:17 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Follow the post op diet your surgeon gave you.  I was a revision from lapband to RNY.  If I remember correctly I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks or so and I pretty much lived on soup (strain it if it has meat or vegi's in it) and broth.  Make your protien into a smoothy with a little bit of  canned fruit (canned in water or light syrup).

Good luck, you are the first person that I've heard of that gone from RNY to lapband.  I am assuming the just added the lapband and didn't take now the RNY, am I correct? 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

BevAG
on 10/17/13 5:09 am

Thank you, Motomama, for your response. 

I had the RNY about seven years ago.  They put a lapband.  They did an endoscopy first to see which revision they wanted to do and suggested this one, and I had it October 11. 

heathercross
on 10/20/13 5:40 am - New York, NY

Bev - I had a Band over Bypass - same as you, and you shouldn't be eating anything but liquids for 2 weeks than another 1-2 weeks of puree.  If you didn't get a post-op diet from your surgeon, call his office and demand one.  

BevAG
on 10/20/13 5:53 am, edited 10/20/13 5:55 am

Thank you, Heathercross.  I did receive a post-op diet from my doctor.  Things moved quickly for me having surgery. 

When I got home, I wasn't really like reading all of the information I received.  I'm now eight days out from surgery and I've been reading ALL the information I was given and I've been able to put together a food plan for me based on what the doctor's information was.  I also went OH's section for lapband food plan and got some ideas.

I am still on liquid since I'm only eight days out.  I'm actually feeling terrific.  Each day gets better and better.  I had a phone post-op appointment with the nurse last Friday, which was seven days out from surgery.  I have a post-op appointment with the doctor in person this coming Thursday, which will be 13 days out. 

For some reason, my first few days I just felt lost.  I didn't know how to gather my wits about me and follow directions, and I was just eating the same boring liquids that I had at the hospital, which I then repeated at home.  Now I've put some variety into the liquids, and things are good.

One thing that I really like are those light popsicles.  I have one a day, and it gives me some food fun. :) 

Thank you for your response. :)

BevAG
on 10/20/13 5:57 am

Heathercross, congratulations on achieving your goal!!!  I will be right behind you reaching my goal as well. 

BevAG
on 10/20/13 6:00 am

Heathercross:

Since you are also a Band over Bypass, do you consider yourself a Lap Band Revision or a Gastric Bypass Revision?  I'm not sure where I fit in this.  Thanks. :)

heathercross
on 10/20/13 6:08 am - New York, NY
A BOB as its called is a band over bypass. It's for people who failed the RNY or their RNY failed them.
Hislady
on 10/17/13 5:10 am - Vancouver, WA

If you go to the lap band forum, look on the right side of the page and click on post op diet. That will give you some ideas on what to eat.

BevAG
on 10/17/13 8:34 am, edited 10/20/13 5:57 am

His Lady:

Thank you SO much for your post.  There's lots of information in that section for me.  I appreciate that. :)

Most Active