Going in Crazy Circles - HELP - Band to... RNY or VSG?!?!?

QoftheU
on 10/21/13 5:54 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Excellent response - you bring up some very valid points and I will look into your suggestions more prior to making a decision. However, I don't have anywhere near a high enough BMI to qualify for a DS, plus my surgeon won't do them... my choice is the RNY or Sleeve. Re Meds, oh yes, am working with my psych to work those out.
pineview01
on 10/22/13 11:54 am, edited 10/22/13 11:55 am - Davison, MI

Just a FYI!  the supplementation needed for the VSG is nothing like a RNY and DS.  Sleeve is restrictive only, The RNY & DS are restrictive and absorptive, thus the need for much more supplementation.  The surgery risk with the RNY & DS are much higher than the VSG.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Lisa O.
on 10/19/13 9:52 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I chose to go with the RNY and had surgery on the 14th. For me, the surgeon would not consider doing the Sleeve because I have chronic reflux which is often a long term side effect with the sleeve.  For me, it comes down to this...if you think you will suceed with a restrictive only surgery and you don't have a history of reflux, the sleeve is a good choice.  I know a few that are happy with that choice and successful.  I was very successful with the band until years 3&4 when I developed issues and had to get my band emptied.  I then started to gain some weight.  Once it was removed in May, I gained 40 lbs in 4 months.  I know I need malabsorption at this point to get to goal (never quite got there with the band) and the vitamins seem a small price to pay to get there in good health.  BTW, I take my vits mid morning and take calcium later in the day.   I hear that only 30% dump and honestly I hope I do as a deterrent to eating sugar.  I don't know what to tell you about wine, but I know Rnyers that drink alcohol.  Maybe if you eat before you drink the wine it will help because dumping comes from sugar hitting you intestines too quickly. Perhaps some food in you pouch would help slow things down.

im no expert but there are some really nice vets on the RNY forum that could answer you questions.

best,

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

nayttap
on 10/20/13 10:48 am
I am revising from band to sleeve soon. Among the reasons I made the choice to sleeve are these....

1. The area that the band has set these past couple years is right where the surgeon cuts for an RNY, and that can be a problem whereby the surgeon can't make a great decision until he/she is in there. Working around this issue can cause the RNY pouch to be too big or too small or damaged from the past band. My surgeon brought this up for my consideration.

2. In the past year, I had some unexplained GI bleeding. It wasn't minor--required 19 units of blood. Tons of testing did not reveal the cause. Leaving the blind stomach of an RNY could be a problem if future bleeding occurs. Hopefully this will not happen.

3. I have a history of arthritis in my family. While I don't currently have any, the possibility is very real genetically. NSAID's would be contraindicated in an RNY--and those are so necessary in managing arthritis pain.

In sharing this, I hope it brings some thoughts to help others make decisions.
QoftheU
on 10/20/13 12:51 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hmmmmm... yes the NSAID thing could be an issue - I have bad knees. Thanks for sharing... something to add to the list!
Zee Starrlite
on 10/31/13 3:06 am

Yeah serious issue if you want to take NSAIDS.   I have a form of RA and am so glad that I have the option of NSAIDS - they can be a lifesaver.  I try to avoid taking any drugs at all costs but there are times when I just need, need, need and NSAID without negotiation.  That should be high on your list with arthritic knees.  If you want bypass consider the sleeve with duodenal switch.  All best to you.  I love my sleeved stomach . . .  but I have not lost all my weight (I am not at an uncomfortable size and that too is an unmotivator :).  The thing with me is that I am never ever hungry and I feel I just always had a larger capacity - ummm I did ask my surgeon to make my sleeve a bit bigger  - he said "I will not" but I think he did.   The point is I am not hungry and need to work with that blessing and  stop overeating more than my body can handle.  I have no excuse my WLS is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. 

All best and if I would you I point blank would not have any surgery that would not allow me to take an NSAID.  This too comes from someone that tries to use everything natural as an anti-inflammatory first - from green drinks to supplements to soaks to mind stuff and whatever else might work but at last it's the NSAID that works when I've hit bottom.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

lafalot
on 10/22/13 4:36 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

I just had my conversion from Band to RNY last week, so I can't address long term consequences. I had to have the RYN because of I had developed terrible Acid Reflux with the Band. I also am hoping for the Dumping Syndrome to help keep me on the right path.  My husband has been in AA recovery for 17 years to just look at some things (booze for him/ carbs for me) and say 'that's poison to my system. Sounds good in theory, hope I can do it.

What does you Dr. and Physician's Assistant recommend?   

QoftheU
on 10/22/13 11:58 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
So how are you feeling? How was surgery? Worse or better than you thought? Just think, soon you'll be dropping weight and feeling on top of the world! Write when you can!
Most Active