Lapband to Sleeve to RNY :-(

pineview01
on 12/27/13 12:39 pm - Davison, MI

The sleeve was around for ulcers, growths and cancer of the stomach.  Called Gastrectomy or partial Gastrectomy!  VSG is a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

The RNY doesn't remove any of the stomach and reroutes intestines.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cindyj578
on 12/27/13 6:13 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

You are correct, the sleeve was originally done for ulcers, growths and cancer of the stomach.  I have the sleeve.  But it doesn't cure the acid or bile reflux.  The sleeve has actually made the reflux very very severe.  The cure for the acid or bile reflux is the RNY.  

pineview01
on 12/28/13 4:42 am - Davison, MI

Yes, that is correct.  How far are you out with your sleeve?  We had to go on 2 ppi's for the first year.  I was able to go down to 1 and now down to none.  But when you cut back you go thru hell with worse reflux for 3/4 week before it gets better.  They don't tell you that.  I found out due to research posted here.  My DD that is 3.5 years with the sleeve was never off the 2 per day.  I gave her the research after I was successful and now she is finally off after over 3 years without reflux.  She does take Papaya Enzymes with meals, probiotics and stop eat 2/3 hours before bed.  When I follow this I do well if not I have some trouble.

Hope the RNY works out well for you!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cindyj578
on 12/27/13 6:13 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

You are correct, the sleeve was originally done for ulcers, growths and cancer of the stomach.  I have the sleeve.  But it doesn't cure the acid or bile reflux.  The sleeve has actually made the reflux very very severe.  The cure for the acid or bile reflux is the RNY.  

pineview01
on 10/18/13 10:41 am - Davison, MI

I agree MsBatt, if dilation isn't an option, it looks like the RNY is what they will have to do.  I'm sorry you sleeve didn't work for you and you have to go thru this.

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/13 1:39 pm

I had the sleeve in 2009. I lost 70 pounds. Not goal, but down to a loose size 14. Then I started a slow regain. I am up 30 of the 70.

I have had GERD for as long as I can remember. I had my first EGD in 2004. Doc started me on a PPI then. I started a different PPI right after my VSG. It seemed to wor****il two years ago. I've struggled so much with GERD since then. I had a barium swallow and another EGD last Fall. Saw my surgeon. He said I needed to revise to RnY to get rid of the GERD. My insurance company denied it.

Fast forward to earlier this summer. Still GERD. Still all of the terrible symptoms. Think: Go to a Gastroenterologist.  Maybe he'll have some idea how to fix it. He did some kind of swallowing study. I had to eat scrambled eggs with radioactive stuff in them and then have a CT every few minutes for two hours. Normal results.

Last week I had a colonoscopy (it was time), EGD, and an evil thing called a BRAVO study. Gastro found 'significant erosion' in my esophagus, multiple polyps in my stomach (inflammation, just got the biopsy results today, caused by PPI use?), and a HUGE hiatal hernia. Said I needed a Nissen something (wrap?) but can't have that because of VSG so I need RnY plus something else. (I was still dopey, and my husband was out of town so my deaf-as-a-post-won't-wear-his-hearing-aids father came with me.) I said my insurance wouldn't pay for RnY. He said, "Oh, yes, they will!" (He doesn't do bariatric surgery, so he has no 'axe' to grind, so I trust his opinion as I trusted my surgeon's.)

So. Waiting on the results of the BRAVO thing. Stupid BRAVO is still in my esophagus!!! It hurts like CRAZY!!! With my luck, he'll have to go in and get it. (It's supposed to fall off and...er...come out.)

I am negative about my chances of the insurance paying for the RnY. It's specifically excluded in our policy. Last year the surgeon said it was medically necessary, and they still denied it! I just want the GERD gone. Esophageal cancer runs in my family! I don't want to die from it. I didn't want RnY to begin with (didn't want the pouch, supplementation, etc.) but I would gladly do it now that I know about the VSG and GERD. Sigh. I shouldn't have jumped on the VSG so quickly, I suppose. Should have waited for more information that showed people with a history of GERD should not have it.

Good luck! I will be watching for updates.

Robin

pineview01
on 10/21/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

The insurance should pay for the Hernia any way.  Many have reported the GERD clear up after having their HH repaired.  Good luck and sorry you are going thru this.

stacy B.
on 10/29/13 1:29 pm - Wantagh, NY

Looks like they left the entire fundus during your sleeve that is why you are having severe GERD.  You either need to be resleeved or convert to gastric bypass.

deannag70
on 10/29/13 1:34 pm - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13
No, they didn't. The narrow part is where my lapband used to be. The top it is actually very small although it doesn't appear to be, and where the band was narrowed causing food to sit in the top, according to 3 doctors. I revised to RNY on 10/21 although I never wanted RNY but haven't had 1 minute of gerd so far. According to all 3 that was my only option
dishawn
on 12/23/13 3:53 pm - CA

How are you doing now? I am on this forum so confused and scared at this point.   I had the band...revised to the sleeve...many tests and medications for GERD....and now I have a hernia and issues with my sleeve.  There appears to be narrowing, so much so the doctor could not get the scope down into my stomach.  The doctor also reports severe scar tissue from the lapband.  I have an appointment with the surgeon on Friday and there is discussion to be revised to the RNY.  I would love to hear from people who have had band to sleeve to RNY.  I think we are in the minority and our situation is different.

Most Active