Lapband to Sleeve to RNY :-(

deannag70
on 10/13/13 1:54 pm - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13
They have not because they believed it would be a temporary fix only. When I first went from band to sleeve, it was all pretty new here. As far as that goes, when I got my band, they were still pretty new in the US too. I think they understand a lot more now than they did then . I think 2 surgeries instead of one would've made a difference, but I don't know for sure . At the time, they probably would've had a hard time convincing me it needed to be 2: I completely believe in the.sleeve and know so many people that are issue free with it, but they didn't have a 4cc old school band.for 5 years before their surgery. I do feel like the doctors I have been too are good and we did explore all other alternatives, they just didn't feel any of them were viable. Honestly the hardest symptom I have is frequent dehydration because I have a tendency to not drink enough since I can't drink for hours after eating . I have a lot of issues with my kidneys now
kaplanrhonda
on 10/14/13 5:19 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 12/16/13

I've met Dr. Cribbens as Dr. Hamn is my surgeon, and he inserted my 4cc  Inamed band 4/21/2005.   I have been approved for a revision to either a sleeve or a RNY and it is my understanding that they will remove the band at the same time they do the revision surgery.  I had really bad GERD prior to banding and since they removed all of my fluid, I am having problems again with reflux.

Reading your post makes me think I should just bypass the sleeve and go for the RNY.  I don't have a surgery date yet, as I just received the revision approval letter last Thursday.

Today I was thinking I would just let Dr. Hamn decide on which surgery to perform, after he gets in to my abdominal cavity as he is the professional.... I am so confused 

deannag70
on 10/14/13 12:50 pm - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

I know Dr Hamn as well from my lapband days as he did some of my fills/unfills.  I absolutely love my sleeve and if it wasn't for the throwing up in my sleep/reflux, I would be staying with it.  It  is such a personal choice and each person should do what is best for their own situation.  I would talk long/hard to him about potential complications.  I did have the band removed/revision to sleeve in the same surgery, but it was almost 4 years ago and I am not sure if everything is done the same now as it was then.  In addition, I am sure that they have many patients that have no issues whatsoever with doing both procedures at the same time.  One thing I would definitely ask is what percentage of his patients in your situation have to have subsequent surgeries/revisions.  It is definitely a situation where you want to be as educated as possible prior to making your decision.  Dr Cribbins actually performed my previous 2 surgeries; love him.  I live about 150 miles away now and did consult with another surgeon first but he felt that he didn't have enough revision experience to perform the surgery so talked to a couple of other offices but as soon as I met with Dr Cribbins, knew that was who I wanted to perform my surgery.  I completely trust him and firmly believe that what happened with my stomach is just one of those fluke things that sometimes happens.

Best of luck to you as you make your decision.  I know its a hard one but I will tell you that I have not missed my lapband for 1 minute!  I had it for 5.5 years and the last 2-3 were miserable!  Having a sleeve was such a different experience.  I never think about food.  For the first time in my life, food was not a guiding force  and it has been incredible.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/15/13 4:31 am

I'd recommend that you stay un-banded for a couple of months before you have any type of revision.  Our insides need healing after having the band.

I stayed 6 months with a complete unfil1 which felt like not having any band at all and another 6 months unbanded.  With all the dissecting of our insides from the band we most certainly need to let our insides settle down.

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pineview01
on 10/18/13 10:39 am - Davison, MI

I too believe we need to be unbanded and healed before revision.  I was the one that was pi**ed they were making me have it in two surgeries.  Many don't have a problem with all in one.  But, the ones that do have a problem are all in ones.  Than when I saw the photo of my stomach after removal I understood why they wait.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/13 12:01 pm
On October 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, deannag70 wrote:

I have been on PPIs 2x a day for almost a year plus chewable antacids.  The throwing up in my sleep is not just acid, but often caused because food just can't go down my funnel shaped stomach.  The issue is that my tummy is now like an egg timer/hour glass and the band has been gone for almost 4 years (removed in 12/09 and revised to gastric sleeve) but where the band was is almost closed off (the tiny funnel).  Because I no longer have a banana shaped sleeve stomach, DS is not option and re-sleeving is not an option as all 3 doctors believed it would go back to the very odd shape that it is today if they tried and therefore a temporary solution.  I'm not sure if you can see the pic I posted in my original post but that is truly my stomach now.

That isn't from the band.  That is surgical technique for a sleeve.  It's not all that rare, either.  I don't really know how to explain without drawing pictures but it just isn't from the band.  That's sleeve surgical technique.

deannag70
on 10/31/13 6:09 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

As you are not one of my doctors, did not see any of my previous upper GI's or EGD's (between sleeve and now), nor completely versed in my medical history, I'm not sure how you can make that determination.

MsBatt
on 10/15/13 2:07 pm

I'm not a fan of the RNY---but looking at your stomach, I'd agree that it's your best, possibly only, option at this point. SO sorry they can't stretch it out!

deannag70
on 10/18/13 3:41 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

Me too :-(  Thanks for your support though.  Sometimes you just need to hear someone say you are doing the right thing.

cindyj578
on 12/26/13 5:35 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

You definitely have my support. I actually have to have the revision from the sleeve to the RNY.  It is the only hope and the last resort for the acid and bile reflux that you get with the sleeve.  I have the best doctors in Orlando, Florida and this is our last resort.  If you research RNY to cure acid reflux you will get all of the research and trials that have been done over the last 60 to 70 years.  The RNY was has actually been around for 100 years.  It was for people that had ulcers, growths and cancer of the stomach.  And this was done long before it has been used weight loss.  So this is the only procedure that will help with severe acid and bile reflux.  I like you are leary and scared of this procedure, but it is our only hope.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.  

Most Active