Lots of questions and uncertainty

Jennifer B.
on 10/7/13 6:19 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
I had RNY in October 2004, I lost about 70 of the 111 that was my goal. After numerous other health set backs I have regained all of my weight plus an extra 15 lbs. I am researching the options for a revision. I have met with Dr Ali in Fountain Valley CA and am quite far into the preauthorization process. After much reading and research on OH, I'm wondering if I am headed down the right path. I haven't been able to find many success stories of a previous RNY that was restructured to a smaller pouch and stoma adjustment. Are there any out there? I've seen lots from banding to RNY and RNY to DS but much for what I am thinking about. Does anyone have success stories? Failure stories? Regrets? Things they wish they had done? I would REALLY appreciate some help.
MsBatt
on 10/8/13 1:58 am

The ROSE/POSE procedures just don't seem to work. There's one called the Apollo Overstitch that's fairly new---hopefully it's better.

We have several RNY-to-DS posters on the DS board. Perhaps you should talk to some of them.

pgome22
on 10/8/13 4:05 am - natalia, TX

Hello I am new to this blog and hope my responses help.  I had gastric stapling (the old fashion way) i*****  Lost about 33 lbs and got pregnant. After that developed hole in stomach.  Long and short, the years flew by and my insurance would not cover any procedures relating to gastric, bariatric or otherwise repairs. I ballooned up to 414.

In 2010 had another procedure.  Gastric By pass revision.  I had no choices.  I was big, 47 years old and life was flying by.  I lost 209 lbs in about 1.5 years.  Best decision I have ever made.  I wish I could have done it earlier in life. I say that because I am pretty sure I have done much damage on my joints (legs, hips) etc carrying the extra weight.  I would recommend to any others and have.  It was and is the best decision for me.  I now have a life.  I have a lot of extra skin hanging and hope to one day afford to get some of it off - bad side of all this, "can't wear a bikini or shorts" but never did before.  There are 7 folks here at my work that have done gastric bypass and/or revision.  There are multiple folks w/the banding.  The banding folks have all gained weight.  1 of the gastric bypass folks has gained about 60 lbs back but currently on a heavy mission to lose again.

It is not a decision to take lightly as there is no return to the revision.  It will work as long as you use it as a took and focus on your mental and eating healthy habits.  Good luck. 

pineview01
on 10/8/13 12:47 pm - Davison, MI

Gastric stapling to a Gastric by pass revision is a lot different to what the OP is referring to.  They already have the procedure you have now.  They are saying it isn't working for them any longer and are thinking of have the current GB revised.

Congratulations on how well you are doing with your WLS.  That gastric stapling didn't work well for folks did it.  They have come a long way in how they staple now haven't they.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/9/13 8:49 am

I think you have to ask you why did you regained? If it is a diet issue -  the revision from RNY to RNY - most likely may help you for a while...and you may lose some weight - but once you resume your old eating habits - the weight may come back. 

I had RNY - I have to be extra careful what and how much I eat  and have to avoid drinking with meals. If I eat and drink with meals - I can eat and eat and eat... 

Also slider foods, or carbs - can make me so hungry... and then hungry some more... I call that " my bottomless pit" days. A lot of time that is caused by too many carbs... and how many is too many? for me any simple carbs (even the ones in fruits) may start a reaction... 

HUGS.. hope things work well for you...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active