VGB Revision

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/7/13 9:31 am - Massillon, OH
I had a VGB back in 1987...26 yrs ago. After that I gained most of my weight back (within about 5 yrs of having my original surgery). I have been plagued with problems ever since...throwing up, stomach pain, and severe distention. I suffer from bad back problems, hip problems, hypertension, borderline diabetes and lots of stomach issues including Gerd, Stomach Polyps, and a Hiatal hernia. A few years ago my (then) doctor suggested I have a revision to a Rou-N-Y but since then has moved out of state. My new dr does not do revisions at all but I found out my insurance will NOT cover a revision! My questions are how do I find a dr in
OH who does revisions, how do I APPEAL my insurance and is Rou-N-Y my best option?? Thank you for any help you can give me!
Member Services
on 10/8/13 2:10 am, edited 10/8/13 2:10 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through.  We did a search and here is a list of surgeons in OH that does the revision.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NH/a,messageboard/board_id ,4832/

We did a search and found several posts from members with a copy of the appeal letters they used.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=appeal +letter&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

For additional information and support post on our Insurance, Cash Pay and Financing

Research all your options to find what procedure/s seems to have the best long term success. 

Good luck  

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/8/13 5:29 am - Massillon, OH

Thank you so much for all your help! I will check them all out!! :))

pineview01
on 10/8/13 12:53 pm - Davison, MI

You may also want to research the DS as it is the best to resolve diabetes.  I would research the RNY and DS as many doctors recommend the RNY as it is what they do and know.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/8/13 1:49 pm - Massillon, OH
Ok Thanks! I've been reading lots about the DS and I'm thinking that might be a better option for several reasons. One of which is my back problems (which involes daily doses of NSAIDs). Is it true that with the RNY you can't take NSAIDs?? Also I'm concerned about getting my insurance to approve it!
pineview01
on 10/8/13 2:20 pm - Davison, MI

Yep, the big advantage of DS or VSG are that you can take NSAIDs.  Many have had to fight the insurance to get one.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lafalot
on 10/9/13 4:07 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

My insurance company (BC/BS) policy is not to do revisions. But, I learned I had a patient advocate service which I used, and was approved.

lafalot
on 10/9/13 4:09 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

I am having the Bypass because I developed terrible GERD with the Band.  With Bypass you should not get GERD anymore.

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/10/13 11:43 am - Massillon, OH
Ok thanks!
pineview01
on 10/10/13 10:06 am - Davison, MI
On October 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM Pacific Time, lafalot wrote:

My insurance company (BC/BS) policy is not to do revisions. But, I learned I had a patient advocate service which I used, and was approved.

That would be your insurance policy.  Not the BC/BS policy as they have covered many revisions.  This is a very good example  why everyone needs to check their own policies with questions.

Good for you for for having you patient advocate service fight for you.

Most Active