new to this section of OH... the RNY board isnt very friendly.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/1/13 9:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Please explain to me exactly how my post was either mean or bullying?? Since when does asking a question equate to bullying? 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/2/13 9:45 am

I had RNY and reached my goal. I needed to lose 100 lbs. I did that and then some... At my lowest weight - I did not feel very good - nor did I look good.   I have been maintaining over 85+ lbs loss in my 5 years post op RNY..  That is good for me... really good.. But in the last 3 years I had deal with more health issues that I dealt with in my whole life.  I will never knwo if they are TRNy related or not. Nobody knows. 

But - knowing what I know now - I would never chose RNY if I had a second chance. VSG - the sleeve or DS would be my primary choices.   

I had RNY and I deal with severe RH (reactive hypoglycemia) that can only be controlled by a very strict diet and use of hormones (cortisol)  .  I have to eat every 2-3 hours and take steroids every 3-5 hours.  Still at times my BS can drop..

Maintaining my weight is very fine line, I need to eat enough to prevent low BS but not too much to cause RH and weight gain.    Exercise - may make me crash, yard work - may make me crash, stress - may make me crash...   Most likely this is RNY related.. but I will never know for sure.. 

I have spots - cysts on my pancreases that can turn into cancer -  I need MRIs every 6-8 months to monitor them (they were not there 2 years ago) Again - RY related? maybe.... will will never know. 

I developed food allergies sensitivities: gluten, lactose, etc... add that with restricted carbs - and there is not many foods I can really eat..  The only very good thing about that - is that the same food that I have sensitivity to or can get severe RH - may also cause regain - so I do stay away from it. (severe Rh is so nasty - that I had days that I cry from pure frustration - when I get the shakes when I thought I was doing everything right to avoid that,,,) 

at the weight you at - choosing RNY - is very brave.... I don't wish that surgery on anyone... I don't hate anyone enough to wish that on them...  I do know some people who do just great --- but IMO -there are few and far between... 

post op RNY : IMO - to be able to maintain - you have to very strict with diet and exercise.. for life.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MSSEXXC74
on 10/6/13 11:41 pm
Just out of curiosity, you cant get a revision to Vsg or DS to stop all your symptoms?
pineview01
on 10/2/13 3:00 pm - Davison, MI

Hi!  As your state your band is broke, join the clubkiss, you might want to check out the failed band group.  Lot's of great info.  Not very cuddly and talky, but much info.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 10/5/13 3:54 am

You appear to have blocked the only people who have given you good advice here. The experienced ones that are also familiar with the data.

Your surgeon may be the best, but that would be the best at RNY. It's like you've gone to the Hyundai dealer when you NEED a Mercedes. Car dealers will only sell you what they have, and surgeons are no different. 

I want you to do well, and so do many that you have blocked, so rather than tell you statistics and studies about high BMI's and success rates of different surgeries, I suggest you unblock and reread some of the advice you have already gotten from the smartest folks around. 

Most Active