new to this section of OH... the RNY board isnt very friendly.

Ladytazz
on 9/29/13 8:06 am, edited 9/29/13 11:42 am

At the risk of being called mean I hope in all sincerity that you look seriously at the DS. At your BMI it is truly your best shot at successfully treating morbid obesity. If you were dealing cancer wouldn't you want the best possible treatment available? This is every bit as serious. You will probably need to travel and I hope you don't let this be an obstacle. There are two of the best DS surgeons in California. Please visit the DS forum for more information and support. The RNY is a great surgery that has been around a long time but I have seen many who were SMO, while losing a lot of weight, still remain morbidly obese. The DS has the best stats for those with a BMI over 50.  I truly hope you take this in the spirit I intend. I really have your best interest at heart.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

illinois Gama D.
on 9/29/13 11:26 am

WOW< I do not get why you  would say RNY is not a nice place? I can't find one post where anyone was not straight forward with you? whats up with that?

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/13 12:22 pm

just ignore the rude ones....and focus on the helpful ones..u can also block people if you need to.

what a great job with the weight loss! have you worked out yet on liquids? i was wondering if its possible...if your not too weak? im preop lapband to RNY too and i want to shrink as much as i can before surgery.

great job & good luck!!!!

Sherrie P.
on 9/29/13 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Good luck with your revision. The band sucks.  If I had been able to have the DS I would have gone that route.  My BMI was not high enough for my insurance to cover it.  It has excellent long term success and you retain your pyloric valve.  Certainly worth asking your surgeon if it interests you!!

Just ignore people that bother you... or block them.  That is helpful. :-) 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

ohbearly
on 9/30/13 2:30 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

It is interesting that support boards can be so unsupportable. I hope you find good support here. My observation for the few months that I have been around is that the people are nice and really care. I am 2 months out of a Lapband to RNY revision. I a ma big proponent of adding exercise into your routine. I believe it is what has made my weight loss a success. Even with Lapband, I became active. Once you get into the groove, it become natural and fun to do. I hope you find something you like to do fitness-wise. That is the key. Best of luck and I look forward to chatting with you more.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/13 3:03 am - NV

thank you for the kind words.. I have added a workout system ( Jillian Michaels) to my daily activity .. i really like it and am seeing and feeling results...  thanks again

MsBatt
on 10/1/13 3:34 am

I'm old and my eyes aren't what they used to be---am I reading your ticker right? Was your starting eight over 600 pounds?

Honey, you need a DS, pure and simple. And yes, your surgeon may be a great surgeon, but he's obviously not a DS surgeon, or he'd be telling you the same thing.

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size. This becomes even more so the higher your BMI gets. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol. Please, for your own sake, research the DS and talk to a surgeon who actually DOES it before you go under the knife.

I truly wish the best for you whatever you ultimate choose to do, but I'd hate myself if I didn't speak up. See, I'm so eternally grateful to the person who spoke up to ME nearly ten years ago and saved me from making a terrible mistake. I too was scheduled for an RNY. I didn't want to be, because it scared me, but dying scared me even more. Then I met a couple of ladies who were about 18 months post-DS. After talking to them for a half-hour, I thought "This is just too good to be true."

So I went home and started researching, mostly to convince myself the DS wasn't as good as they said---because I didn't think my insurance would cover it. 24 hours later, I was in tears. The DS WAS that good, and I knew it was the very best thing I could hope for---but the only surgeon anywhere near me wouldn't accept my insurance. (Turns out my insurance DID cover it, he just didn't take my insurance.)

I did a lot of thinking, a lot of calling around, al lot of talking to DS vets. In the end, I knew my health was worth whatever it cost me, so I bit the bullet and went in debt in order to get the DS. Cost me less than a new car, and, unlike a new car, ten years later it's still working just like brand new. And it will continue to do so for the rest of my life. A life which, thanks to my DS, has already lasted twice as long as it was expected to if I hadn't had WLS when I did.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/13 1:19 am - OH

angry

Ditto.  I started out at a BMI of 57 (332 pounds on a 5'3" body) and chose RNY instead of DS (partly because the only person I knew IRL with a DS had horrible (uncommon) issues) -- and I have been very successful with my RNY -- but even at my BMI it was the surgeon who asked me to consider the DS. Knowing what I know 6 years later, I have a hard time envisioning someone at that starting weight (no disrespect intended, of course!) being as successful with the RNY. I am pretty sure that I would not have been.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/1/13 8:04 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I have found mostly very supportive people on these boards. Sure, there are some who are more blunt with their delivery, but it's always good to keep an open mind and soak in all the information you can.

That being said, I've looked at every single one of your posts and have no idea why you think the RNY board is unfriendly. 2-3 people may have called you out on posting incorrect information, but they weren't unfriendly about it at all! And I see no need to block anybody based on your interactions. Very strange!!

And if you're still reading this (and haven't blocked me yet! haha), I would seriously consider the DS surgery, as a couple others have said already. It's your body and your life. You've already had one failed surgery -- you may as well go into your next one as well informed as possible. 

Good luck to you! :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/13 9:04 am

they ran over to the other site and posted this..and then all the bullies ran over here to ask you a thousand questions about why you didnt think RNY board was friendly...uhm....thats why. LOL! ive just done some serious blocking myself. i cant stand the meanies. they are proving their point.

Most Active