Lap Band to Sleeve

lmbfmm
on 9/25/13 9:51 pm

Tamara,

Thank you for this information, my level was 12 so the doctor prescribed a once a week supplement.  I will look into the OTC ones.  I have to re-take the bloodwork in 2 weeks.

Lisa

motomama
on 9/22/13 8:27 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

I had my revision from band to RNY on 9/6, so still on liquids for another few days.  For me, pain wasn't the issue but fatigue was.  I was so scared too but I knew I had to get the band out, mine had slipped and I had lots of scar tissue.  It sounds like you weren't really "living" with the band, it sounds like you are in survival mode.  Hang in there, I think everyone has their doubts and concerns when a revision...we thought we were doing the right thing by getting the band and then it failed.  Good luck!

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:49 pm

Thank you, you are right that I was living in survival mode for a long time.  While I am scared to get the revision I know I need to.  I just keep thinking if I failed with the band how will I not fail with the sleeve??  Ugh, I am my worst enemy when it comes to beating me up.  I know this will be good, I just need to keep moving forward with the decision.

Lisa

trenya07
on 9/22/13 9:01 am - East Coast, NC
I had my band removed after 5 years and sleeved 4/22. I lost 100 lbs with the band but developed dilation of the esophagus. I have only lost 25 lbs in 5 months and feel like a complete failure too. I wish now that I had the RNY or DS. I find that people who are a revision to sleeve are slow/minimal losers...
**************75 lbs lost 25 lbs to Goal and One Year Bandversary!!****************
lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:53 pm

I am so sorry you experienced so much trouble with the band too, it really stinks that the tool we thought would finally help us get healthy failed.  My doctor told me that if I kept the band in and just kept adjusting to re-lose the weight it will probably take double the amount of time plus I will be just as sick if not more.  To me that is just crazy, why would I do that to myself?  I am going into getting the revision with the mind-set that the weight won't come off as quickly as when I first got the band but as long as I lose without throwing up I will be happy.

Keep up the good work and don't give up.  We can do this!

Lisa

pineview01
on 9/23/13 1:23 pm, edited 9/23/13 1:25 pm - Davison, MI

Hi sorry I was gone this weekend and missed your post.  I could have written it for you.  I was banded 2/09 and had my band removed 9/4/12.  I was sleeved 1/22/13.

I have to disagree with the above poster as many of us band to sleevers have done very well.  Many revisions as a whole may be slower losers than virgin surgeries.  Usually because they start at a much lower weight and/or because their heads aren't in the same place as the first time.

I went thru what you went thru, both mentally and physically.  I had to fight to get the approval to get the sleeve.  Than when I was waiting I went thru the fear.  Fear this to wouldn't work.  I am hear to tell you live is so much better with the sleeve than I ever was with the band.  I lost all the regain and am now down even 40 pounds more than with the band.  All I wanted from this surgery, was to get to my band low and a little more to be under 200 and stay there without all the throwing up, pain and medical problems.

The first couple months I doubted myself and if they had even done the sleeve.  (Even though I knew in my head that from the research I did, it was just the cut nerve endings.)

I am LOVING my sleeve!  I am down under 170, with the band my low was ~210 (other when my brother passed and I hit 199 for a day) and was considered a Band success.  I can eat very small amounts of all foods.  I can now eat the solid protein we need to success at WL.

Also with the sleeve if you ever needed mal-absorption down the road it is the first stage of the DS.

Check out the Band2Sleeve group.  It isn't very busy but, many stories and info. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:58 pm

Hi,

Wow you did really go through what I am going through right now.  Thank you for the personal message too.

It is great to hear that you have lost REALLY well in 9 months, that is all I want, to lose what I have gained back and be healthy again.  I had to get cardio clearance for the revision surgery and during that visit the cardiologist put me back on high blood pressure meds, that really hit me hard because I was so proud of myself that 2 months out of band surgery I was off that med.  So I really do need to this revision to sleeve to be healthy but not unhappy because I am throwing up all the time.

Thank you again!

Lisa

motomama
on 9/25/13 2:27 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Another reminder is that you didn't fail the band, the band failed you.  That's what I keep having to remind myself and that this surgery is going to lead to better health and better self esteem...throwing up all the time was one of the things that I hated..being out to eat with the family and all of a sudden getting that OMG I'm going to PUKE look on my face then making a mad dash for the restroom and hopefully making it.  My kids and husband would be sad and mortified for me when this happened.  Hang in there!

lmbfmm
on 9/25/13 2:34 am

OMG that is EXACTLY what I was going through, the mad dash to the restroom!  It was so sad to my family and then I always felt bad in the restroom for others that were hearing me...UGH that is what I hate the most about the band.

Thank you again, the support means the world to me.

Lisa

pineview01
on 9/25/13 10:16 am - Davison, MI

I too had to go back on HBP meds after having gotten off them with the band.  I know how you feel.  Good luck with your revision.  Are they doing it in one or two surgeries?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active