Lap Band to Sleeve

lmbfmm
on 9/19/13 2:10 am

Hi, I had lap band surgery 10/09 and did really well with it, lost almost 100 lbs in about a year. Problem is I was living off of protein shakes and soup because I couldn't eat anything else and not throw up. I chose to remove the fluid because honestly I was sick of not eating and more sick of throwing up when I did try to eat. This was in mid-2011 and I have since gained almost all the weight back.  I have talked to my surgeon about the sleeve and have been approved for the revision, so we scheduled it for 11/18/13.  Problem is I am scared to death to do this!  I keep thinking to just keep the band and live with life how it was because at least I wasn't obese, hungry all the time but not obese.  I also think with the band I have some control, fill or don't fill, but with sleeve I have no control, no way out of I get sick all the time like with band.  I feel like such a failure that even with WLS I couldn't keep the weight off.  I wonder did I give it my all, did I do all the things I was suppose to do?  I know I did and I know I don't want to be sick like I was before or living on a liquid diet.

I guess what I need is some advise from people that have gone from band to sleeve.  I know people may not have had the same issues with the band that I did but I just need some words of advice and encouragement.

Lisa

Member Services
on 9/19/13 3:48 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through. We did a search and found some other threads where members were asking the same question. We hope this helps  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=band+t o+sleeve&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A 9

lmbfmm
on 9/19/13 8:22 am

I really would like some help, is there no one on this forum that has some words of wisdom?

tdbull
on 9/19/13 12:22 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I got my first band in 2009 - lost all my excess weight (130lbs), but did this while throwing up almost everything. I got to a point where I couldn't even drink thick protein shakes, so surgeon was going to reposition - I had a slip. My DH was done with it, so surgeon put a larger, 11cc band in in 2011. I gained 60lbs back - could not get restriction with the newer band, and if I was filled to 8 or a little more, I would get severe acid reflux. Dealt with this till 5 weeks ago, when I had a band to RNY revision. I have had no acid reflux, and as I try new food, I haven't had any problems with getting stuck, feeling like my food is sitting in my throat, and I haven't thrown up once. I did have complications after this surgery - infection in drain hole, but food wise, this is sooooo much better. And I've already lost 24lbs.
My gastroenterologist told me that he sees so many band failures, and agreed with my surgeon that revision to RNY was the route for me. Luckily my endoscopy showed no scarring or problems from the reflux I suffered with for so long. Best of luck to you on your journey, and I hope my story helps.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:42 pm

Thank you so much; it's good to here other people lived  like I did for so long.  I am still so scared to do the revision but know it'll make the world of difference.

Lisa

mpafford
on 9/20/13 5:44 am - TX

I had the band in 05 lost 116. Then after about 2-3 yrs out got a dilation. took all the fluid out. Weight started creeping back. Gained 40lbs. Started having reflux. Juts took OTC for it as it was not daily. THEN about 6 months ago, started coughing in my sleep, gaging, and having it to the point of taking Nexium twice daily.

My surgeon only does bands. Saw 2 different Dr.s and they both agreeded they are taking out more bands than putting them in.  Said after about 5 yrs patients started with the same problems I was having.

So I just had it removed, tons of scar tissue, and a huge hernia, and sleeved. One night in the hospital. I am 9 days PO and feel great. Just a little soreness, but only taking regular Tylenol for the pain.

Hope you can get your band removed and some other WLS I wish I would have doe the sleeve instead.

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:44 pm

Montie,

Thank you for your reply and I am starting to hear and see the same thing about the band.  It seems like 4 or 5 years is the mark when people start to have issues.  I too wish I had done the sleeve back in 2009.

Lisa

TamaraL
on 9/21/13 11:53 pm

Lisa, You will feel so much better having the band out. You will be able to eat and not have the throwing up and you will lose again.  I revised in 2010 and it was the best choice i could have ever made for myself. After a while you become mal nutritioned when you don't eat the right amount of foods that your body needs. I would recommend having a complete blood panel done before surgery to make sure all of your vitamin levels are good. I wish I had known my iron was low when i had my revision. It makes it harder to get levels up when you have the revision.

YOU can do this and you will be so glad you had that darn awful band removed.

TAMARA

lmbfmm
on 9/24/13 11:46 pm

Tamara,

Thank you!  I did just do a complete blood panel last week and I am severely low on vitamin D, so glad I found this out now when I have 2 months to correct before revision surgery.

I am still very scared to do the revision but I know in the end life will be so much better because it won't be spent throwing up every day.

Lisa

TamaraL
on 9/25/13 10:51 am

Lisa,

if your vitamin d was low please get the over the counter D3 that you find in the stores. if its below 20 atleast take 5,000 mg. drs will normally prescribe D2 and it has to be converted to d3 before your body can use.  in order to lose your levels need to be 80 to be healthy.

Tamara

Most Active