Checking in 7 weeks post-op Lapband to RNY

ohbearly
on 9/17/13 3:05 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

I haven’t been to the forum in several weeks. I thought I would drop-in and say “hi”. Thing are gong well. Last week I began eating “normal” food after 5 weeks of liquids and pureed foods. I was worried since it was also vacation week for me. I had rented beach house in early February and decided to take the time off even being this early on in recovery..

It went pretty well. I ate cautiously and only had three episodes of food that did not work. I have found that I am very intolerant of sugar at this point. My first episode involved eating small 4 ounce cup of applesauce. Another episode was Special K Red Berry cereal. Both times they tore me up with stomach pain and pretty severe diarrhea.

Other than these episodes, I had no issues. I am able to eat so much less than I could with the Lapband when it was working properly. Being on vacation made it a little more complicated. I carefully chose from menu items and tended to play it safe. I did have burger and it worked well. Only ate a 1/3 of a 1//3 pound burger. I also had thin crust pizza (1 slice).

My weight fell 40 pounds in the first 3 weeks after surgery and then stopped. This week I found myself 3 pounds down from my pre-vacation week. That’s pretty good for a vacation week.  I am now at 182 pounds, the lowest weight I have been at for probably 20 years. Best of all, I am glad to have the issues with my Lapband behind me.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Lisa O.
on 9/17/13 4:57 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Thanks for the update Tom!

My papers were submitted to insurance yesterday so hopefully they will give a speedy approval and I'll be joining you as a new RNY patient. 

I appreciate hearing about the differences compared to LB.  That's very interesting that you can eat less than with the band.  I was one of the lucky ones and had immediate restriction and could never eat much the first year. 

So, what was your lowest weight with the band if you don't mind me asking?

Congratulations on your excellent progress!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

ohbearly
on 9/17/13 11:24 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Lisa, My. Lowest band weight was 191. Tom

Lisa O.
on 9/18/13 2:29 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Awesome!  l hope I can be 10 lbs under my lowest weight soon!  

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

motomama
on 9/17/13 7:49 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Thank you for your post.  I had my band to RNY revision on 9/6.  Today not much that I put in my mouth tastes good...sweet yuk, savory- yuk, water...ok.  Still on all liquids and not hungry just having a hard time getting liquids in today.  You post give me a light at the end of my tunnel!  Congrats on your success and keep it up.  Love hearing how life after the band is out is so much better!

ohbearly
on 9/17/13 11:28 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
I also find that food does not excite me much. That was so true during my first 3-4 weeks. I really ate because I had to. As you point out, the taste is not there. It changed when I was able to expand my choices and food. Good luck on your recovery. Tom

pineview01
on 9/17/13 10:48 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations Tom!  That is awesome.  With as little as you had to lose you are doing better than many in my FB group did with virgin RNY's and 200 pounds to lose. 40 pounds in three weeks!   Your stall at 3 weeks is normal  too.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/13 9:14 am

Thank You for posting this positive information on your experience. I myself am a Lap Band to RNY Im hoping before years end. My Lap Band was a fail had it 2008 with no restrictions did all I was suppose to with nothing so my surgeon said RNY is the way i should have gone the first time but I was to afraid but in the end and 5 years later it is time I do something so RNY it is. I am nervous but at this point I have to do what is best for my health. 

Reading this post gives a good positive vice.

Thanks 

ohbearly
on 9/18/13 9:55 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Ana, you are correct. The revision is about your health. Like you, I was leery of RNY 5 years ago. My surgery went well and I hope yours does too. You can read more about my revision experience on my blog at http://beariatric.com. Good luck! Tom

Sara10
on 9/19/13 6:19 pm

Thanks for your post.  I am a lapband and going in for revision soon and am scared.  Your post eased some of my nerves. Thanks and keep up the great work

Most Active