home after a lapband revison to RNY...

motomama
on 9/15/13 4:19 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Thank you again, Ashley!  Your words shot me through my heart just now regarding those that share are more successful.  This gives me strength. When I was banded I lived in a large town and it was pretty easy to be "real" because not that many people knew who I was.   Now I live in a teeny tiny town and everyone knows everyone or is related so I think that's why I am less comfortable sharing.  We've only lived here a year and they don't know my history.

QoftheU
on 9/15/13 7:08 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hello! I am a failed LapBand patient seriously considering (and in the process of) revising to an RNY. I just read the above and I can not tell you how your words resonated with me. Overweight people do hide don't we? (and by WL standards I'm a "light weight" - need to lose "only" 87 pounds but really, it makes no difference - the pain is the same). We hide everything because we ARE embarrassed about ourselves and we shame ourselves every day (and of course society shames us relentlessly as well). However, your words gave me some real inspiration and I just want to thank you for that. (And you're also very articulate which I really appreciate!) I sincerely hope that when I'm 5 weeks post-op, and even after that, I feel the freedom and liberation you describe. At first I wasn't going to tell anyone (what if I fail AGAIN?!?)... but I really understand what you're referring to and now I think I AM going to share with people - the accountability factor alone is worth it. So thanks again for your astute observations and inspiring words. If you feel like it, shoot me a line letting me know your progress... I wish you the best!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Ashley in Belgium
on 9/15/13 6:02 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Thanks you for your kind words - sometimes when we post here it is like shooting words off into the unknown and we don't always know how things land!  I think that because i didn't tell people about my Lap Band, I don't worry that others will judge me for my first failure and secretly watch me to see if I fail this time.  So from that perspective I am "safe" from ridicule.  And while I am upfront about the RNY I am not saying, yeah, this time I hope it works...

I just turned 42 years old yesterday and my husband took me to Paris for the weekend to see a concert and meet up with friends.  (Okay, before you eye roll here, let me say that I am an American, married to a Frenchman, we live in Brussels and I have been here for over 11 years, this is my home now and Paris is a 2 hour drive away - so while it sounds exotic- and ok it's pretty cool - it's not a whole lot different than any one of you going to the "big  city" closest to you for a change of scene!)  But my point is that unlike every single restaurant experience I've had since getting Banded, I actually ENJOYED and ate well in public with out running to the bathroom to get sick.  I didn't have to strategize about what to eat, what would likely go down, etc. etc.  I am only 5 weeks out and I ate in unfamiliar restaurants successfully!  I ordered grilled scallops and shrimp (no sauce to make it a slider) and I just chewed, but not excessively and ate slowly.  It was fabulous.  My husband kept saying how nice it was to see me enjoy food and not look pained while I ate!  The next day we had a 4 hour lunch with friends who had no idea I had the surgery and I ordered an appetizer of melon and Italian ham - I only ate half and was happy to share it with others and then I had salmon and veggies and I ate a little over half.  I wasn't sick, I wasn't deprived, I wasn't having to explain why I didn't eat it all.  It was NORMAL.  It was Fabulous.  I feel free to just be like everyone else.  Amazing!

I can't recommend this surgery enough.  It has already changed me for the better.  If I don't loose another pound - I don't care (well a little) but I am just glad to be free of the Band and to have a tool that will help me loose weight but not rule my life.

I honestly don't think that failure is as big a risk with the bypass as it is with the Band.  If you are motivated and make the best decisions food wise MOST of the time and keep portion size under control and move a bit then I can't see the senario where the weight piles on again.  I may not ever be 125 pounds with a perfect BMI, but then maybe I will.  It certainly feels possible when it never has before.  

Please stay in touch!  I really hope you can get your Band out and move on to the next phase of your journey.  Totally worth it!

Cheers - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active