Dallas - Dr. Kim stopped accepting BC/BS.. ARRG! Next best Dallas Doc 4 DS?

Acey
on 9/11/13 6:25 am - Dallas, TX

Finally, After scouring this site and many others I decided on Dr. Kim to discuss doing a laparoscopic duodenal Switch revision from RNY Gastric Bypass and HE STOPPED ACCEPTING MY INSURANCE! Back to square one!

I met with Dr. Alexander recently but he does not want to do a DS – he says that I should just have a gastric bypass revision where they cut out the expanded small intestine and then cut out about ½ of the disconnected stomach to reduce the production of ghrelin – the hunger hormone/enzyme. Has Anyone had this done?

I really think I just want to be done with all this and have the DS. I’m worried that with the revised gastric bypass I’ll just be back in the same boat I’m in in 10 years.

Also, another question, it really doesn't;t matter who I do my sleep study, Psyce eval and endoscopy right? All of that is through insurance so it should be usable by any doctor?

Thoughts?

Member Services
on 9/11/13 6:57 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

We know how disappointing it can be when we think we have things all set and then have to start all over.  We are sorry.  Here is a link to a list of surgeons in the Dallas TX area that lists they do the DS.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/find/bariatric-surgeon/TX/?sortby =default&distance=200&location=&fp=23

We hope this helps  

Acey
on 9/11/13 10:17 am - Dallas, TX

Hey Member Services,  THANK YOU! I really appreciate this list. Y'all might want to take Dr. Stewart off as he died this Summer. He does have an assistant dr. ?Dr. Ayloo? who it sounds like some people were happy with. 

Caligurl99
on 9/15/13 11:35 pm

you will hear LOTS of complaints on here about Dr. Barker but he and his staff have been amazing to me and i have BCBS.... Dr. Hodges did my DS and she is AMAZING!  Just check it out :)

Acey
on 9/19/13 4:47 am - Dallas, TX
Yes, I've been pestering you for information on other boards too I am going to Barker tomorrow and hopefully will speak with your surgeon. My husband is worried about the massive absorption reduction with the ds, not now or in the next 20 years but when I'm like 80 and can't afford supplements or have cancer or something and can't get sufficient nutrition. I'm sure you've thought about that as well. What were your thoughts on those types of eventualities, did the surgeon discuss that with you?

How are you doing? I know you were worried about not losing. has it picked up a bit? How is your energy level?
rj0274
on 9/18/13 8:02 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

I had an RNY revision with Dr. Alexander a couple months ago.  I had the exact same procedure you described above.  So far, I'm down about 25 lbs. but seem to have hit a plateau.  Still going to the gym almost every day and keeping a diary of calories and exercise.

The removal of of the disconnected stomach which creates the ghrelin intrigued me; however, I must say that I still feel hunger, but become full and satisfied eating much less.  I have noticed that I feel hunger throughout the day which reminds me to eat several small meals.

Dr. Alexander's staff was excellent throughout the process.

I had my endoscopy done at Dallas Medical Center off 635, and the psych eval was conducted by Dr. Cynthia Galt who is located in Dr. A's office at the Forest Park Medical Center on 75 near 635.  The surgery was done at Forest Park Medical Center which is a great facility. 

Regarding insurance, be sure to determine if your surgeon is a "preferred provider" - they will work with you to ensure you have the proper coverage.

Acey
on 9/19/13 4:43 am - Dallas, TX
Hi, I've tried to reply a couple of times on my phone but keep getting distracted. THANK You for getting back with me. I hope you don't mind some more questions.
Was your a revision also from RNY GB?
Was your new procedure done laproscopically?
How was you recovery time in hospital and afterwards? Pain level?
How many month ago?

Dr. Alexander said the weight loss I had before should be close to the same with this procedure maybe 10 -15 lbs less and I could expect to keep it off the same amount of time if I did what I did before or indefinitely if I do what I'm supposed to. I guess I partially worried about the lack of a malabsorption portion of the procedure. AND that most people I speak with say they've never heard to the intestine creating an "extra pouch" by expanding off the stomach pouch. I guess I'll see what Dr. Barker says about it.

I'm very interested in following your progress and wish you the best! Please keep sharing I really appreciate your information.
MsBatt
on 9/19/13 6:16 am

RNY to DS is the most complicated revision surgery, and there are only a few surgeons who can do them. It's worth traveling in order to get a good one!

Most Active