Do RNY Gastric Bypass revisions work? I heard no?

Acey
on 9/11/13 6:28 am - Dallas, TX

I posted part of this under my Dallas Dr. Question but really its for anyone who has had a rny gastric bypass revision.

I met with Dr. Alexander  in Dallas recently but he does not want to do a DS – he says that I should just have a gastric bypass revision where they cut out the expanded small intestine and then cut out about ½ of the disconnected stomach to reduce the production of ghrelin – the hunger hormone/enzyme. Has Anyone had this done?

I really think I just want to be done with all this and have the DS. I’m worried that with the revised gastric bypass I’ll just be back in the same boat I’m in in 10 years.

Also, another question, it really doesn't;t matter who I do my sleep study, Psyce eval and endoscopy right? All of that is through insurance so it should be usable by any doctor?

Member Services
on 9/11/13 6:50 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

We are sorry to hear all you have been through.  We did a search for RNY revisions and here is a link of some discussions from your fellow members. We hope this helps....

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=rny+re vision&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

airbender
on 9/11/13 9:50 am

please post your question on the ds board...and be careful, why doesnt the dr want to do a ds?  is the ds something you want?  it sounds like it is.  i would be very concerned that in 2 years you will be in the same boat...advocate for yourself, read up, and ask question about both...good luck to you

cheesedoodle4511
on 9/13/13 6:53 pm
I haven't had it done but the research I've read seems to say that the DS is the only one with lasting weight loss. It kinda sounds like he wants to give you the distal RNY which I heard is the worse of both worlds.
10/07 RNY 08/13 start process for a revision to DS
motomama
on 9/15/13 4:34 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

I just had my lapband to rny with Dr. Alexander in Dallas (9/6).  I would suggest you give his gal "Friday" Jennifer Scott a call or schedule a meeting with her.  She is great and has also had a revision of some kind.  Dr. Alexander has been doing RNY for years which is probably why he is directing you that way.  He does do a" modified" RNY because he removes the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin.  If you are interested in the DS then research and find a surgeon that specializes in it, then decided what is right for you. 

Good luck on your decision.

Most Active