I want to get everything I can out of my lap-band...

Angelique J.
on 9/10/13 2:49 pm - Allentown, PA

So I have been considering a DS revision from my lap band, but no one WANTS a second surgery so I am seeing what options are left with my lap-band. Now I am 5 years out and still 60 down from my highest, but 65 up from my lowest. The nurse I saw was ready to add 1cc to my currently 8cc band, but couldn't get the port. My surgeon comes in and says he doesn't feel comfortable adding more because I have been having heartburn at night so he is ordering an upper GI. I guess I am just looking for support. I am back on more meds than I have been since 2008 and I am just feeling crappy and kind of hopeless at the moment...I don't know.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Hislady
on 9/10/13 3:21 pm - Vancouver, WA

If you are having heartburn any time you should be looking at a partial unfill not more fill. Heartburn is a sign that you are too tight or that something is going on with the band. Once it starts it rarely gets any better. I had mine emptied over 2 years ago because of tightening, so far that has solved the problem but once I get insurance coverage that will cover it I want it out asap.

MsBatt
on 9/11/13 3:37 am

The Band is notorious for causing reflux. Once it starts, it rarely gets better, and it can cause severe damage to your esophagus. Get your Band out NOW, while your stomach and esophagus are (hopefully!) still okay.

Living with a DS has been truly wonderful for me.

airbender
on 9/11/13 9:45 am

let me tell you I know what you mean about not wanting a second surgery!!!! AMEN.  that was my thought process, I had the lapband for 8 years,  and me thinking that way instead of having 2 surgeries I ended up having 4......

first lap band implant, 2nd lap band explant, and new lap band implanted, 3rd lapband explanted, (no one wanted me since my esophagus was trashed,)  4th DS...... be very very careful with heartburn that is a sign of esophagus damage....get your band deflated.  protect your esophagus while you still can...I have permanent damage.  

I developed well documented severe late complications of the LAP-BAND including, dysphagia, gastroesophageal reflux disease, vomiting, anterior and posteria hiatal hernia, anterior band slip, severe esophageal dysmotility, poor primary peristaltic wave, esophageal dilation, gastroesophogeal erosion, gastric antral erosion.  please take care of yourself and dont make the same mistake i did to try to hold onto the band...much longer than i should have....i wish you well.

Angelique J.
on 9/11/13 1:05 pm - Allentown, PA

Thank you for all the support. I will let everyone know how my GI goes this Friday - hello Barium!!! ughhhh

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Most Active