Thinking about it

stephanie P.
on 9/10/13 1:45 am - woodland hills, CA
Have an appt with my surgeon on the 19th to discuss revising from Lap Band to the Sleeve. I am a cash patient now so hopefully they can work out some sort of finance for me. I am just so done with this band. It worked for 40 lbs in the last 5 years and thats it. Im sick of getting stuck on healthy foods, and resorting to the unhealthy ones that go down good. Im ready for a change ...Anyone have any insights as to the recovery for revision? Pain, Difference in eating between the band and sleeve?

Pre Op/Surgery Day/Current/Goal
337            325             295       165

MsBatt
on 9/10/13 6:42 am

Before you go under then knife, you should also research the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that causes you to permanently malabsorb some of the calories you eat---about 50% of the protein, about 40% of the complex carbs, and about 80% of the fats. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol, and the post-op 'diet' is a foodie's dream. (*grin*)

Since you had such poor luck with the Band, a purely restrictive surgery, I'd hesitate to get another purely-restrictive surgery. You don't want to find yourself looking for another revision later on.

Hislady
on 9/10/13 7:32 am - Vancouver, WA

My band has been empty for 2 yrs now, can't revise because of insurance exclusion, but I can eat so much healthier now! If I were to revise I would definately go with the sleeve mainly because it has been done as a cancer and ulcer surgery for decades so I know it is a good surgery. I also have a relative that had it done for cancer and he s just fine 20 years later. I don't mind losing part of a stomach but don't like the idea of re-routing my insides. Now I'm not sure I'll revise as long as the band isn't bothering me just because I have other issues to consider but the sleeve is an excellent surgery.

I would suggest you go read alot on the sleeve forum and see how others have done with it. Good luck to you!

Sherrie P.
on 9/10/13 12:16 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

The band sucks. I lost 27 pounds in 4 years.. unfilled, gained 50; then revised to RNY and LOVE it.

If my insurance had not paid for it, I would have self-payed for the sleeved because it was cheaper.

GO FOR IT!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

pineview01
on 9/11/13 3:13 pm - Davison, MI

I had my band removed 9/4/12 and was sleeved 1/22/13.  I am know 40 pound lower than I got with the band.  I'm down 110 my highest and loving my sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

donnamy3sons
on 9/12/13 4:44 am - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

I revised from band to sleeve on 8/13, recovery has not been that terrible,  for me 1st 3-4 days were the worst pain wise. I stopped pain meds on day 4. My advice is to be up moving as soon after surgery as possible that was really the key.mi felt so much better up and moving than in bed. My only surprise has been how tired I have been. Good luck.

Most Active