Insurance and Vitamins

Angelique J.
on 9/8/13 3:28 am - Allentown, PA

I currently have Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (a version of medicaid) and am just wondering for ANY insurance out there...did they cover the cost of your DS vitamins or only if you had a deficiency? I mean they would qualify as health sustaining medications, but I just don't know and "member services" is less than helpful.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Hislady
on 9/8/13 5:05 am - Vancouver, WA

To know for sure you will have to ask your medical coverage but I don't think they do, even when it is for a deficiency.

airbender
on 9/9/13 4:15 pm

this really depends on what vitamins you are talking about....the short answer is yes the long answer is no, so depends....

each insurance policy is individualized but depending on what you need they will cover even without a deficiency

your iron, your vb12, your k-simply because these are RX if you get over the counter you are out of luck, the other vit/mins no since they are considered medical food and don't go through pre-approval by FDA as pharmaceuticals.  (as a dser Drisdol, vitd2 50K is not something you should take as you will not be able to absorb it-see the doseage etc for that RX)

on another note, if you have a flexible spending account you can have all your vit/mins that way...get a letter of medical necessity etc.....good luck

pineview01
on 9/11/13 2:49 pm - Davison, MI

My insurance doesn't pay for any.  Not even the Rx if you can get OTC.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 1:22 am

No, expenses such as vites are issues you need to take into consideration before you have surgery.  That is just one more reason I opted for a sleeve.

pineview01
on 9/12/13 11:57 am - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active