Band over Bypass

Misty1980
on 9/6/13 11:07 am - edwards, CA

So I made the 8 hour trip to see my original Dr and we spent 2 hours going over everything. I have late dumping and reactive hypo. The meds I've tried don't work so they said they have cases like mine where they put a band over the bypass and it helps. All I can tolerate is meat, greens and almonds and continue to lose weight. IM wondering if there is anyone on here that has had this? Did it relieve your symptoms? Where you able to eat milk products and fruit again without dumping? I'm going back in a couple weeks so just trying to figure this all out and so sick of being sick

Member Services
on 9/6/13 11:33 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Misty,

We are sorry to hear you are having these issues.  More and more members are posting they are having these problems.  Be sure and do a search on reactive hypoglycemia and contact some of our members that have been more vocal about their issues with reactive hypoglycemia. 

H.a.l.a. B.

MM- Melting Mama

Linda_S

Good luck  

Linda_S
on 9/8/13 12:48 am, edited 9/8/13 12:49 am - Eugene, OR

Misty - I replied to you on the main forum, but what you really need is to get the bottom of your stomach back into the mix.  You need your pyloric valve and the intrinsic factor in your duodenum to regulate how quickly your food enters your small intestine and to help break down the sugars from your food before it gets there.  My surgeon has told the insurance company that it is medically necessary that I have a revision to a sleeve, but the insurance is refusing to pay.  I am hoping to change insurance this fall and perhaps have a revision after the start of the new year.  In the meanwhile, meat and salad is about all I eat.  I do tolerate eggs well, and I don't have the problem with cheese that you do.  Have you tried lactaid with your milk or cheese?  I can't really tolerate the milk sugar in plain yogurt either.

Best of luck to you.  I really cannot see how a band over bypass can be helpful in any way, shape, or form.  If you read about all the band revisions here, you can see that those things are (in my opinion and in the opinions of so many others) downright dangerous.  Talk with your surgeon and ask him to explain just how putting a band on your pouch is going to make any difference in the reaction of your digestive system when your food hits your intestines.  I don't see the logic.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Misty1980
on 9/8/13 1:40 am - edwards, CA
Thanks so much Linda for your reply. I received a email from my Dr last night and he said they would try the band if it didn't work than they would put a feeding tube in if this clears my issues than he could do a sleeve or reverse. I question the band told him I did not want another surgery just to have it removed because I have only seen one person it has helped and I do not need to lose anymore weight. I told him I would rather try the tube because that would tell for sure and than either the sleeve or reverse. I'm sick of being sick as I know you are to. I hope the best for you to. Do you think the sleeve would help our issue?
Zee Starrlite
on 9/9/13 5:01 am

Just want to say that the band is a major operation.  Your doc can't just pop one on like a hair clip and simply revise you to a sleeve or reverse if that does not work.  The band  makes lots of scar tissue that needs to be dug through and dissected to remove and your stomach has already had severe alteration with your bypass.  That makes you a perfect candidate for complications like leaks.

Consider a revision surgeon who does a full take down from a RNY to DS.  Even if you just get your pouch taken down put in place to include your pyloric valve and made in to a sleeve.  Get a Lap Band and get double lasting troubles.  It's a no go hun!  Get one of the real heavy hitters to look at you like my doc perhaps Mitchell Roslin, M.D. in NYC.  There are a handful of others in different locations  that DSer's can direct you to.

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pineview01
on 9/11/13 2:40 pm - Davison, MI

I wouldn't let him put a band on you.  Than you just can't eat meat, what's left for you than.  The band causes all kinds of problems and shouldn't be use as a "oh let's try this"  I would skip the band and do the rest.  You might want to find someone very experienced in putting the rny back and doing the sleeve/DS.  This isn't something to play around with.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active