Anyone had a RNY to Distinal Bypass?

clsrox13
on 9/3/13 4:35 am - Durham, NC

First off is there another term for the distal bypass, I know you can't call it a DS...but my real question is has anyone had it before and can enlighten me on pre/post op.

What is the weight loss outlook on it, 100 lbs?

Any important questions to ask on my next visit?

Thanks 

2008 (Age 24) Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass  Loss of 96lbs

Performed by  Alfonso Torquati, MD,d MSci   (Duke Health, NC)                       

Zee Starrlite
on 9/3/13 6:02 am

VitaLady Michelle has a distal bypass and takes good care of herself.  You are so young - do it right no matter what (wait/travel/money), and get a full take down and revision to a sleeve with duodenal switch.  I remember it said that a distal RNY is the worst of both worlds.

Good luck with whatever you do.  The distal RNY has a pretty bad rep!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tbone88
on 9/4/13 5:12 am - MO

I suppose I had distal bypass. I had and RNY  to RNY revision 7-22-13. they did not touch my existing pouch of the opening from the pouch to mthe intestine. what they did was bypass a very very good magority on the small instesine I had. knowing what I know now I prob would not have done it. since they didnt touch my pouch and make it smaller I am always hungery. and now when I eat it comes squirting back out after about a half an our to an hour. I have not had a solid bowel movement since July. I actually carry a bag of spare clothes in my car along with baby wipes and things in case I can not make it to the bathroom. And believe me there have been times where I almost didnt. And it does not mater what I eat it can be baked, fried, grilled, you name it. I now mostly just eat canned chicken or tofu those do not upset my stomach as much. I sarted day before surgery at 296lbs weight myself I think Friday and was at 256lbs. but that is all jus****er weight since nothing stays in me. I wake up in the morning and get ready for work. I take my vitamains with a bit of water and before I leave the house I dont think the vitamains are still in me. I am actually getting worried. my surgery was done in mexico because I was self pay and the sugeons in th KCMO area only do the band or bypass they will not do revisions. and my insurance would not pay for me to go out of state to see another bariatric surgeon. But If this keeps up much longer I am going to have to go someplace and have them fix me.

It is so bad I can not even walk my beagle around the block because I have to go more than she does. The more I move around and the more upset my stomach gets. How can I even start an excersize routing at this rate.

This is just my own experience so far. I hope No others have the same problems.

Good luck to you

clsrox13
on 9/4/13 6:34 am - Durham, NC

Thanks for your reply. I am so very sorry to hear about your situation! I for the most part expected to hear those type of problems in replies, but I was also hoping to hear anything positive. Everything I know and have read is that you pretty much shouldn't got that route. 

You will have to do something, and I know the paying out of your pocket situation doesn't help matters. I hope you get someone who can fix you correctly. That is just no way to live.

2008 (Age 24) Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass  Loss of 96lbs

Performed by  Alfonso Torquati, MD,d MSci   (Duke Health, NC)                       

AngelicMythology
on 9/6/13 11:13 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I had distal rny On January 20, 2013. I dealt with fatigue the first month post op. Yes the first couple months I dealt with loose stool. My surgeon gave me a script for Creon. At the beginning that helped so much. I don't take it anymore. Guess my body just needed time to heal. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

MSSEXXC74
on 9/7/13 11:46 am

I  had a distal bypass in 2000. I lost 230 pounds. I lost 150 bcuz of the surgery the other i had to work it off. I dump still I have recently Regained 80 pounds over a 6 year period. Back surgeries and steroids twice a month for 6 years. I regained the portion i had to work off. i loved my RNY I COULD not eat meat and basically adjusted to non solid food so it did its part. my pouch and stoma are still very small. I have had bad anemia in 12 years never got higher than 8 and very malnourished until last year when i had 6 transfusions. personally although i loved my rny if i knew about the ds back then i would have tried for it. I tried everything to get iron even was told you get a tiny bit from cooking In iron skillet. Finally when i was told i was making my heart work to hard which would eventually cause a heart attack I had the transfusions. My dr could not believe i functioned for 12 years like that. She said usually when people are under 10 they get lethargic. I was always tired but you do what you have to. i also could not get b12 above 150 with out weekly 1cc injections. They say other than bypass patients usually only true vegans run those numbers. 

JROLFSON
on 3/5/14 12:14 am - St. George, UT

The term used when I had RNY Revision to what is called ERNY or Extended RNY or Distal...This is where they shorten your intestines cc to a length somewhere between 80 to 200 cc's...I had much success with this surgery but not without experiencing a lot of uncomfortable bloating, gas, loose stools (which I still have today) My surgery was back in May of 2009 and by May of 2010 I was at goal and have maintained 136 lbs for 4 years to date. However, I am now starting to see weight gain and of course I'm panicking. As far as the vitamins go...you must take, take, take...As you get further out from surgery I think you can cut back some to a more reasonable amount but in the beginning and for the first couple of years depending on how your body adjusts to the surgery and your lab results. You must be compliant on vitamins. Which I am not so I have experienced some tough issues...Technically speaking the Distal/ERNY is less risky than some of the other revision options however, in the long run the DS is a better option for long term and safer success...Not an option for me though as my insurance wouldn't cover and I could not pay...I hope this has been somewhat helpful...

Janie

Most Active