Worried

awinslow
on 9/8/13 7:08 am

Thank you! What is a DS?? I had a gastric bypass before that was not effective so my revision was gastric to gastric with a sleeve effect????? I am not completely sure if that makes sense but I just ant it to be successful this time around. (Fingers crossed)

awinslow
on 9/8/13 7:50 am
Ok never mind! I found out what it was still learning. Sorry.
MsBatt
on 9/8/13 8:03 am

I suggest you get a copy of your surgical notes. It's VERY important to know exactly what they did to you, because you may have to explain it to a doctor some day.

awinslow
on 9/8/13 2:34 pm

Ok, I went back and looked at my revision paper work and it states that it was a lap bypass revision. I know it is very important. I guess what through me off is when we spoke in her office she said it would have a sleeve effect. I will talk more with her on Tuesday when I go for my 2 week post visit. I have a list of questions to ask her. Thank you for the the post earlier, now I do not feel so nervous about going in.

MsBatt
on 9/9/13 12:38 am

Yep, ask a LOT of questions about that "sleeve effect". An RNY/gastric bypass does not function even remotely like a Sleeve. Here are some pics to illustrate what I mean:

Gastric Bypass

Gastric Sleeve

As you can see, the RNY pouch no longer uses the pylorus, the stomach's natural emptying port. Rather, food leaves the pouch through a stoma, a man-made, always-open hole. This is what is largely responsible for dumping syndrome. (Even though not all RNYers dump.) The Sleeve preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function.

Frankly, turning an RNY into a Sleeve is pretty complicated. It requires sewing the pouch and the remnant stomach back together, then forming a Sleeve. It also requires returning the small intestine to its original, single-limb state, in order to restore the pylorus. (This is also pretty much what's done when revising to the DS, except then there's the further step of reconfiguring the small intestine for the 'Switch'.)

I'm betting what she did was tighten up your pouch and stoma, and perhaps bypassed more of your small intestine for greater malabsorption.

Linda_S
on 9/8/13 1:13 pm - Eugene, OR

Ya, the others are right.  You're fine.  Don't feel bad about getting nervous.  You should be concerned -- not because your weight loss is slow (you're doing great!) but because sometimes we get complacent about having had surgery and we decide we can have things they told us we shouldn't have.  I know a couple of WLS patients who have gained it all back.  Hopefully, you won't be one of them, because you're concerned, and you're not afraid to ask questions.  Good for you!  Pay attention and you'll do great.  Don't worry about the scale -- it will stall.  Three weeks, three months, etc.  The important part is, you'll do what the doctor said, and you'll be a success.  Hang in there!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active