Revision from VSG to RNY I think

mawdebo
on 8/31/13 1:32 pm
I had sleeve in 2007. I started out 256 lbs. lost down to 172lbs. Since then I'm 200 lbs again. Considering RNY I'm kinda nervous bout it. I know I did not do all I was suppose to. So it's not all the sleeves fault. Had the sleeve in Baton Rouge La. If I have the revision it will be in Tjuana Mexico. That is where I'm at now with my husband. Which is doing wonderful. Doc told him the sleeve. I suffer with acid reflux badly. And I have chronic anemia. So I have to have a hysterectomy first then work on the anemia.I'm kinda nervous bout everything but have to do something before I gain it all back.i have a friend that had RNY and has been sent home with hospice cuz she is vitamin depleted. Another that did not do vitamins and other things. I know what I did not do so I know what i have to do if I go through with it again. Just some more advice needed. O and one of the doctors said that they may can just resleeve me after they see how stretched I am if any. If not I need to have RNY
clpeltz
on 9/1/13 12:03 am

You need to keep your fully functioning stomach and revise to the DS.  You already have the first part (the sleeve).  Ungson is the ONLY DS surgeon to go to in MX.  Visit the ds forum here to get info on the DS.  You can't make the right decision for yourself if you don't research ALL your options.  Revising to the DS is the only logical choice, unless there are other medical problems that would make a sleeve not good for you.  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

mawdebo
on 9/1/13 1:12 am
Ok thanks
MsBatt
on 9/1/13 1:53 am

Here's the thing---long-term, the Sleeve and the RNY have about the same results. So why would anyone give up having a fully-functional STOMACH for a pouch and stoma? Especially if they're not going to get any better long-term results? Like Cpeltz said, go to Dr. Unsgon and get the rest of the full DS. The DS has the very BEST long-term results, period.

loverofcats
on 9/2/13 2:37 am

What if severe acid reflux is an issue? The DS wouldn't take care of that, would it? Just thinking out loud.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

MsBatt
on 9/2/13 2:44 am

Oops, I missed that. But she also talks about getting re-Sleeved, which would probably make the reflux worse.

I had terrible reflux pre-op, and zero reflux since my DS---but I have a rather 'generous' Sleeve.

mawdebo
on 9/2/13 6:36 am
Don't think I could tolerate reflux any worse than it is. I know I have some more research to do. Thanks for y'all's advice
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/2/13 5:05 am

I haven't had one episode of reflux since my DS, so yes, it can, but have heard it's a YMMV thing.

If you already have the sleeve part, and it is/isn't already causing reflux, there is no reason to think that would change. Changing the sleeve to the DS is only changing the intestines, the stomach is done. 

Most Active