Revised and terrified!

tammym
on 8/29/13 5:24 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I'm 19 months out, definitely past the honeymoon period.  I can eat large meals again, just started re-gaining, and I am terrified! I DON'T want to go back. But I already failed at WLS once before and feel powerless. I want more time with my success! What can I do? I'm hopeless at sticking to the diet (hence the need for twice having WLS,) and I exercise a LOT. Currently walking/running 25-40 miles per week. As the dark and rainy season sets in, I wont be able to get outside as much. 

If you are long-term post op., please advise!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/tammym/

Layleigh
on 8/29/13 6:51 am - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

Hello Darling,

I'm sorry, I don't have any insight for you, but I was wondering what you revised from, and to? I had RNY in 2005, and a revision RNY to RNY  in 2011. On Sept. 10th, I'll be revising the RNY to DS, with Dr. Keshishian. I hope things work out for you, because I know all about that feeling of despair!

tammym
on 8/29/13 7:31 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I had VBG in 2001. Revision to RNY in 2012. Didn't lose much after VBG, but got down to a BMI of 21 after RNY. I'm back up to BMI of 23. Still within the "normal" range, but not heading in the direction I should be heading. 

Good luck with the DS!

Layleigh
on 8/29/13 7:42 am - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

I gotcha! If there's anything I'd advise, it would be to stay on top of it they way you are now! Ask for help, no matter what! I think back to when I had gained back 10lbs..20lbs..all the way to 150lbs!! Can you believe..not one person said anything? Im not blaming anyone, im just saying..do whatever it is you have to do to stay in control! Go to meetings, therapy, workout buddy..ect!

tammym
on 8/29/13 8:24 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

People always comment when we lose weight but they don't want to say anything when we gain. We should say something to keep each other accountable! Next time I see someone who has gained a bunch of weight I'll ask if they are ok!

Layleigh
on 8/29/13 8:32 am - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

you're right, they dont want to say anything. im very open about my story and try to help anyone i can..i dont want them to go down my path!!!

tammym
on 8/29/13 8:36 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I am the opposite- Extremely private about my story. I'm ashamed of my years of obesity! People who meet and know me now never believe it if I tell them I spent more years as a size 22 than the size 2 they know. I traveled out of state for my first surgery, and used up all my vacation time for both of them so I wouldn't have to tell anyone at work!

Layleigh
on 8/29/13 8:39 am - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

trust me, i understand being private. i walk around with a lot of shame and ebarrassement! when you go from 162 to over 300 withing a matter of months..less than a year...there's gona be talk..but only behind my back! i figure, the only way i can keep it all from being in vain..is to keep it real with whoever will listen and accept the information.

Ladytazz
on 8/29/13 3:05 pm

I know the feeling of despair after regaining after WLS.  I had felt that WLS was my last chance to lose weight and keep it off and I failed it and was destined to live the rest of my life morbidly obese.  I didn't seek a revision to address with weight gain, though.  I actually begged for a reversal of my first WLS because I was so sick and miserable.  I found there were worse things in life then being obese and I was living it, as sick as I was.  I had no quality of life whatsoever.  I was told that I couldn't be reversed but I could be revised to address my issues and while he was doing that he would give me a RNY pouch (I had a very large sleeve at the time).  I was told at the time that I may not lose any weight but I honestly didn't care as long as I wasn't sick anymore.

I did decide that since I was being given a second chance with WLS I would address the issues that caused me to become morbidly obese in the first place and to fail so miserably with my first WLS.  It wasn't hard to figure out.  I am a compulsive overeater, addicted to refined carbs, basically sugar and gluten, as well as to large amounts of food.  The surgery helped with the large quantities but the choices I make are entirely on me.  I found that the surgery helped me feel satisfied with smaller amounts of food and also helped with the unrelenting hunger I always felt, there by making it easier to stick with a healthier way of eating.  A few years after my first WLS when I found myself regaining weight I realized that I had to do the exact same thing after WLS as I did before to lose weight and keep it off and if I had the ability to do that on a long term basis I wouldn't have resorted to WLS in the first place.  I finally learned with they meant when they said WLS was a tool.  I certainly didn't use it as a tool the first time.  I thought it would do all the work and I wouldn't have to change a thing.  I learned the hard way that that wasn't true.  WLS does it's part but only if I do mine.  I don't have to diet, like you I was never good at those for any significant amount of time.  I just have to be able to eat in a healthy way for my body and avoid the things that I am addicted to.  As long as I am not eating sugar and gluten I am able to make better decisions about what to eat and how much.  Once I start in on the refined carbs all bets are off and my ability to control it is gone.  It has been over 3 years since I have intentionally taken sugar or gluten in my body.  That is more important to me then the weight I have lost.  That and the fact that I have managed to keep my weight stable for 2 years is a miracle to me.  I don't think I have ever weighed the same for over a few months in  my life.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lisa O.
on 8/30/13 3:59 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Bravo!  Well said!  No matter what surgery we have we have to control the "what we eat" just as much as "how much we eat".  I was a successful Lap Band patient (lost 116 lbs in 9 months****il I let sugar back in to my diet.  That's when I stopped losing weight and started pushing the boundaries in all matters regarding diet and eating behaviors.  I ended up dilating my pouch and developed serious reflux.  I had to get my band removed and am rapidly gaining weight now that I don't have that little tool.  I'm resolved to getting off the sugar.  I'm not a "moderation" person.  I have to abstain like an alcoholic.  The good news is that I know I can do it.  I've done it before.  I'm hoping to have RNY in  October.

Never give up!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active