Concerned about my DS......

Caligurl99
on 8/27/13 11:32 pm

I am three weeks out which i know it's rediculous to already be concerned but I haven't lost anything in a week and a half :( Which i thought this was suppose to be my honeymoon period.  I am getting all my liquids in and as much protein as i can get down... i don't cheat with carbs and get plenty of exercise.  Any of you go through a stall literally within weeks of your surgery?  Any food ideas of what i should change??

Thanks everyone for your help!

Member Services
on 8/27/13 11:48 pm - Irvine, CA

Call your surgeons office and see if they have some suggestions for you too

Acey
on 9/3/13 12:20 pm - Dallas, TX

Caligurl, 

I have so many questions for you! I has a RNY (I think) gastric bypass in 2000 and have regained my weight. .My fault - grazing, had baby and got lazy etc. 

I am looking to do a revision and it seems from what people are saying that the only real revision that works from RNY is a DS. (duodenal switch) Did you do a revision?

I heard the surgery is incredibly complicated. Was your open or laproscopic. How long were you in the hospital? What hospital? 

What made you choose Dr. Barker? It is who my regular doctor recommends but I hear so much negative talk about him on these forums. Did you consider other doctors as well? who was you second choice? 

We seem like we have the same starting point I'm at 230 36 bmi. I would love to hear from you, privately or here. Thanks!

Caligurl99
on 9/8/13 8:04 am

I am so sorry that I am just now seeing this! Hopefully you have some answers but let me give you mine also :)  I am a revision!  I had a sleeve in 2008 and then three pregnancies later.... i had some weight gain.  :)  The surgery is complicated because of all they are doing BUT in saying that, they do tons of them and are good at what they do.  I have two babies and had numerous talks with the doctors about step by step what would happen during the surgery.  You will hear a lot of negative about all doctors on here because all of us have our own opinion but in my opinion, Barker and his staff are amazing.  Some have said it feels like a line of patients in and out and yes, they do have lots of patients but it's because they are GOOD.  If you want personal one on one time, they DO give you that and answer any questions you have in detail. No complaints from me at all! I actually used Dr. Barkers associate, Dr. Hodges who is also great! All three docs in his office are great but she is know as the expert in revisions in his office.  i am 3 1/2 weeks out and 20 pounds gone!  Thankfully I was only in the hospital 2 days which is the norm for the DS.  I also started around 227 so we are at the same place :) His surgeries are done at Forest Park Medical Hospital which he and a couple of physicians own and it is BEAUTIFUL. you wouldn't be disappointed. the staff and nurses are great! Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Acey
on 9/9/13 2:16 pm - Dallas, TX
Hi! Congratulations and Thanks so much for getting back to me. I appreciate the information. I'm glad to know there is a surgeon out there in Dallas that does DS operation besides Dr. Stuart who died. I don't have a problem with being in and out, I don't require a lot of hand holding I only require a surgeon who is VERY experienced and good at what they do.

We're you referred to Hodges specifically or to Dr. Barker in general and that's who you got the appointment with because of the revision?

After you got home how long until you were able to like, drive for example... I mean return to life...

How was the pain level in the hospital and then when you got home? Obviously I know its hard.. My Gastric Bypass took me out of commission for almost a month. I'm just trying to get a feel for the aftermath of the operation.

Did they suggest other options to you... how did you decide on DS?

Was it open incision or lap? - You might have answered this in a previous post but I'm here typing so..

How is your hunger level now? I'm ALWAYS hungry!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it!
michelle M.
on 9/5/13 8:11 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

Hi,

I had an RNY and like many other**** a stall at 3 week for about 2 weeks.  It is common with an RNY to hit a stall early in the beginning.  It sounds like it is the same with the DS.

Hang in there.  Everything is going to be OK.  

Michelle

MsBatt
on 9/7/13 5:21 am

Perfectly normal. I advise newbies to only weigh at the doctor's office.

Vicki PNW
on 9/8/13 2:02 am

I had a virgin DS.  I lost 20# out of the gate by the time I had my first in-office exam since the surgery.  However, when I had my second one about 3 weeks out, I had lost only 1#.  My surgeon said nothing about the minimal weight loss and I was not concerned about the stall.  I eventually went on to lose more than 100#.  Although I am not at "goal", I have managed to keep all the weight off.

Stay on the diet that your surgeon's office gave you and your weight loss should take off again.

Best of luck!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Whit
on 9/8/13 6:16 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Stay off the scale girlfriend! I know it's hard but unless you can relax and not get freaked out by the stalls and normal fluctuations everybody experiences then why put yourself through it? 

I have RNY in 2002 the revision to DS in Dec. I stalled the first time and I have had several this time. Even a few gains. If I weigh myself I just except it and do not let it ruin my day or think I have failed. I do  use it to judge what certain foods do to my body. 

You will be fine take MSBatts reco and stay off the scale for a bit.

Best

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Caligurl99
on 9/8/13 8:06 am

what are MSBatts reco? Sorry i'm sure i should know! ::)

Most Active