Anyone have a Lap Band removed and RNY or Sleeve done on the same day?

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/13 9:03 am

I am waiting to have my lap band removed and I have not decided yet RNY or Sleeve. He told me he will do both on same day remove band and perform my choice of surgery. 

Im curious if other's had this done and also how the recovery process was?

Thanks

tdbull
on 8/27/13 9:08 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had this revision and gallbladder removed on Aug 13. Has been slower recovery due to infection at drain hole, but the surgery lasted about 3 hrs, was supposed to be in hospital for 3 days but ended of in for 7 days. Feeling somewhat better, just weak. Mainly due to infection more than surgery.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MSSEXXC74
on 8/27/13 9:38 am

tdbull,

I am glad to hear that besides a little bump in the road you are OK.

TamaraL
on 8/27/13 10:17 am

i did have the lap band removed and the bypass done at one time. I woke up feeling 200% better.  i had had a lot of reflux before surgery so when i woke up i felt like a new person.

i was only cut 1 time. 1 time to remove the band and the bypass but my nurse with my clinic says that they normally do 2 cuts. 1 to remove the band and port and then the normal cut to do the bypass. when the band is removed the stomach should go back to normal shape and then the bypass or sleeve can be done. if there is too much scar tissue or the band is embedded into the stomach they will not do the bypass or the sleeve.

i was sore the second week because i had overdone it the first week. I felt so great the first week.

Tamara

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/27/13 2:56 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I'm almost 3 weeks out from Revision Lap Band to RNY.  Had it all done in 1 surgery, 5 day standard stay in hospital (this is normal in Europe) and have a had quick and easy recovery.  No major pain after first few days in hospital.  I'm walking at least 2 miles everyday -not fast mind you - and am able to get in all my fluids and protein without struggle!  I had my husband and three boys home with me the first week and they took care of all the lifting and things in general.  But since week 2 I have been able to drive, fix meals, walk and rest.  I am a bit weak, and can't overdue or I get tired.  But if I keep my protein levels up and stick to the plan I am able to do most of the things I normally do in a day.

For me this has been a breeze and I wish I had done this years ago instead of suffering with the Band's fickleness and reflux.  For me the pouch is much easier to deal with, just sip your water/shakes, take your time, measure portions and eat very small bites and chew.  No sliming, no vomiting, no chest pain, no acid burning feeling. Wonderful! And the pounds are just melting off. I couldn't be happier.

I wish you well on your journey.  Good luck with your decision.  

Cheers - Ahsley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

JennLyric
on 8/27/13 10:21 pm

I had my band removed and RNY done in June of 2012.  One surgery, all went well.  The drain was uncomfortable, but it came out 2 days after surgery without any problems.  I was glad to undergo one surgery for both.  I hope your procedure goes well.  Let us know!!

Dev *.
on 8/28/13 2:21 am - Austin, TX

I had my band removed and a sleeve on the same day. I was in the hospital for 2 full days post surgery (so day of surgery, a full day, then d/c home the following afternoon). Recovery was reasonably easy. The only real pain I tended to have was from the incision through which they removed the band and the stomach. I took two weeks off of work, but really spent the second week running lots of errands because I felt basically fine.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

jennylew
on 9/5/13 12:37 pm - Hill AFB, UT

Hi Dev. I am probably going to get the same revision (band to sleeve.) My question to you is, with them removing a large portion of your stomach, could you feel any stomach pain after the procedure? You know, like deep stomach abdominal pain? Just curious what to expect.

Jen~

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
Dev *.
on 9/5/13 11:07 pm - Austin, TX
No, I don't think I really noticed any of that. The pain was mostly incisional abdominal wall pain. I did have a lot of swelling of the stomach tissues since they are manipulated more during the surgery, so getting liquids in the first few days was very hard. When I had my egd the morning after surgery the radiologist had to wait about 10 minutes for the contrast to go down.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Denise074
on 6/26/16 10:07 am - Wayne, NJ

It is almost 3 years past your revision, how do you feel?? I was thinking of having my band removed which NEVER worked and have the sleeve done at same time. Some doctors say they won't do it same day because of complications, and others have. What do you think?

Banded on 2/25/09 
SURGERY: 296
GOAL: 180
First Fill: 3/31/09 at 4cc's in a 9cc band

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Calorie Journal
Most Active