Band revision to bypass??? Thoughts????

Christalov
on 8/26/13 11:36 pm - Elmira, NY

I had the lap band in May 2008; had a repair done in August 2011 for a hernia and scar tissue that were causing issues.  I went from 333 to 155; then when i had my issues went back up to 250....now i am back down to 214 but have run into a BIG issue!  My esophagus is now twice the size it should be!  So esophagus dilation.  They have now removed 1/2 of my fill, to see if esophagus will go back to normal.  They have advised that when/if they fill again, it will probably do the same thing and I should think about bypass (sleeve is not an option due to esophagus issues).  HELP......i don't know what to do...all i know is I don't want to gain this weight back!!!!  Thoughts????

band2sleeverevision
on 8/27/13 12:08 am
VSG on 02/25/13

If you have the money/insurance coverage I would go do the bypass.  My experience is once you start having to fill/unfill the band that's been there for a while, problems get worse.

My experience is that once you start gaining weight on the band, it's done. You'll do great with a bypass if you can lose weight with the band.

Ladyintheloop
on 8/27/13 7:26 am - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Been there, done that, and regained all my weight.  Got my bypass in July.

tdbull
on 8/27/13 9:10 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I revised to bypass cuz of severe acid reflux from band. Sleeve wouldn't have cured this.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/27/13 2:59 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Sounds all too familiar!  Just had revision to Bypass - best decision I've ever made!  Good luck on your journey.  Hope you can get relief soon.

Cheers - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Lisa O.
on 8/28/13 2:29 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I'm right there with you!  Same story but my surgeon wouldn't mess around with 1/2 an unfill.  He took it all out, twice.  While the dilation improved it wasn't enough.  I had a "grossly compromised GE junction" and had to get my band removed in May.  I am hoping to have RNY in October.  The Sleeve is not an option for me because of my chronic reflux issues.

I loved my band but after 3 years I reverted back to bad eating behaviors and did my own share of damage by regurgitating food too often because I wasn't controlling portion size.  I won't slam the band because it did it's job and in my case, was right where it was supposed to be.  

Still, I won't give up.  I've gained 35 lbs since removal and it's scary to see how out of control I am without my tool.  I thought I'd learned my lesson but the behaviors have to change long term in order for any weight loss to be permanent. Once I lost 100 lbs I stopped losing.  It was such a monumental mile-stone I think I sub-consciously took a "mental sigh" and started acting like I was in maintenence mode even though I still had 50 lbs to lose.  Once I let simple carbs back into my diet I stopped losing.  

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Cindy W.
on 8/28/13 9:49 am - Madison, CT

I did so well with my band and loved it...until it eroded.  I had the band removed 14 months ago and was revised to RNY July 31st after regaining all 80 pounds.  So far, so great!  I am thrilled with my decision and grateful that surgery went well and recovery has been right on track.  Good luck with your decision...it wasn't an easy one for me after the lap band scare.

Kidda G.
on 9/19/13 9:29 pm
I had so many issues with the band. Can't be more pleased with my revision to bypass. Best of luck to you!
RJ20175
on 9/23/17 6:50 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 01/17/00

Hi, I am having the same esophagus issues and losing swallowing function from band.

i would love to learn how your revision from band to gastric bypass went and did your esophagus get any better?

Most Active