Failed lap band choice of sleeve or RNY revision which way should I go any advice?

whisper_eden
on 10/29/13 6:33 pm

Sorry I had to chuckle at your comment "wear heavy clothing and put quarters in my pockets." Another option would be to wear very baggy clothes with lots of pockets and put some stones/rocks in them or some sand in ziplock bags. Hey just an idea that came to me at 4:30am. seeing Dr. tomorrow hence I can't sleep.

MSSEXXC74
on 10/29/13 9:25 pm

Im actually on my way to surgery now. I guess not all CIGNAS are the same. Christina in Dr. KESHISHIANS office told me CIGNA had a strict 50 bmi requirement. My bmi was 42. They approved right away once tgey verified it wasn't insurances fraud since the dr is in CA and I live in AZ. GOOD LUCK

ohbearly
on 8/26/13 5:26 am, edited 8/26/13 11:01 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Ana,

I had my Lapband to RNY revision on 07/31. Like you, I was presented the two options, as well as revising to the Realize Band. I spent a good bit of time reading posts on both the RNY and sleeve boards. My surgeon had a preference of me revising to RNY.

I ultimately decided to look at the people I interact with in my local support group. I have known many of these folks for over 5 years. I have listened to the good, the bad and the ugly from the group. I came up with the decision to revise to RNY due to the number of people who have been very successful with RNY including my partner. I felt my life very much mirrored theirs. Complications are very rare and people are happy with their choice.

I am now almost 4 weeks post-op and doing great. I am down 40 pounds and feel great. I recovered faster than my surgeon expected. He released me from all restrictions last Thursday. I am an avid cyclist and have started riding again. I still need to work up my energy level but I am well on my way.

Good luck with your choice.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

MSSEXXC74
on 8/26/13 2:40 pm

Ohbearly,

What is the the realize band. I have never heard anyone talk about that type of wLS?

ohbearly
on 8/26/13 10:09 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
The Realize Band is another manufacturers adjustable gastric band that is similar to the Lapband.

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

kellsby
on 8/31/13 12:51 am
Hi there - I too am having my band removed and it cannot happen soon enough. What I found on these boards is you will always be able to find the negatives from people. Just like us with the band. I would never recommend the band on my experiences with it. I decided to go with RNY mostly because I have not been able to eat/drink "normally" due to the issues that come with GERD and with the sleeve that risk remains. I have been miserable at times, up all night and not even being able to swallow water. So, my story is surely not everyone's with the band. Of course you want to know as much as you can about both the sleeve and RNY, but once you feel that you have decided, go with the positives and stay away from the negatives. I was driving myself crazy going on the sleeve boards looking for all the bad with RNY. I take supplements anyway and would most probably have to anyway as I age so that is not a factor for me. I'm scared too, but I have two more months (no definite date yet) and I am planning on staying off of the sleeve boards and focus on what I can do to make my RNY procedure the best it can be. I wish you luck and good health. I cannot wait to get into my "skinny" jeans LOL
trenya07
on 9/22/13 11:05 am - East Coast, NC
I had the band for 5 years, lost 100 lbs then developed esophageal dilitation. I was sleeved 4/22 and have only lost 25 lbs. I would choose RNY if I could do it over. Sleeve does not work for SOME as a revision surgery. I wished I had researched more.
**************75 lbs lost 25 lbs to Goal and One Year Bandversary!!****************
ebonymc
on 10/30/13 11:34 am

Hello!  I can relate to everyone that had problems with the band b/c so did/does I.  I'm still banded and I'm also afraid of revising to either one.  I have diabetes and the band never took me off all meds for that.  My Dr. has given me the option too. There are some things that have pros and cons with both surgeries from what I've heard/read.  If I didn't have diabetes, I would go with the sleeve b/c I only weigh 215.  But since I do have diabetes, My choice Is RNY.  I dont want three surgeries either and RNY have a better standard for curing all of the high lab numbers I'm running.  Am I afraid to have it? YES I surely am.but I know that it's the best way for me to go.  So friend me as well.

Most Active