Failed lap band choice of sleeve or RNY revision which way should I go any advice?

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/13 10:36 am

Hello, 

So I got a lap band in 2008 with many attempts it has been a total failure so now my Dr. is removing lap band to my choice of Sleeve or RNY.

Both scare me but after alot of research my Dr thinks RNY is better but I wanted the opinion of other's that have been in this position and how their experience was and they regretted their choice and why?

Thank You

Hislady
on 8/22/13 1:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

I would suggest you read on both forums and see how people are feeling about their choice of each surgery. My personal preference is for the sleeve because it leave the stomach normal just smaller, plus it removes the part of the stomach where the hunger hormone is produced and it leaves the pyloric valve in tact. I guess it boils down to do you need  the malabsorbtion of the RNY or can you do it with just the restriction o the sleeve. I've read of too many people having problems down the line with the RNY like reactive hypoglycemia and I wouldn't care ti have to take all the vitamins that they have to.  Read as much as you can on both and that should help you make a final choice. Good luck to you!!

pineview01
on 9/23/13 1:57 pm - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kellsby
on 8/22/13 1:22 pm

Hello back,

I am going through the same thing.  Horrible issues with the band for the last three years.  I met with my surgeon and I believe I am going the RNY direction.  I know there are life long vitamin deficiency issues with it, but I also know that there is a much stronger possibility of weight bounce back with the sleeve.  I kind of need the dumping threat to keep me on trac****il I can break this horrible habit of going to sweets for stress relief.  Also, I take vitamins regularly and have almost my entire life.  I know in most that the dumping factors wears off eventually, but hopefully this bad habit will die before that time.  I do not want a third surgery (band out, sleeve, and then ??? if I am not successful with it).  RNY is still supposed to be the "gold standard" (whatever that means in comparison) and it has been the one around the longest.  Anyway, I have no real experience yet, but I just thought I would let you know that there is someone else out here wondering the same as you.  Let me know what you decideheartI'm nervous and may change my mind again before my next appointment???????  Also do you have a date yet?  Maybe we can support each other with our nerves, etc.  Take care,

Kells

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/13 1:41 pm
Hi, I would love for us to be able to support one another friend me.

My surgeon swears by RNY so aiming more that way but still scared about whole process. I'm suppose to wait 89 days before I can do procedure because of Ins. Purposes and I also have to do the whole process again with evaluation etc.
def. lets be friends and we can help one another out 😃
MsBatt
on 8/23/13 2:04 am

There is a third option that your surgeon hasn't offered you, because he probably doesn't do it. It's called the Duodenal Switch, and it's the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats---especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

You've had one failed WLS---you owe it to yourself to research ALL your options before you go under the knife again.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/13 11:10 am

Hello,

I actually mentioned that to him and no he doesn't do it. I heard great info. on this but it is not a choice for me where I live.

Thanks 

MsBatt
on 8/23/13 10:21 pm

Most people who get the DS do have to travel for it---and it's worth it. This is the rest of your life we're talking about.

If you MUST choose between the Sleeve and the RNY, go with the Sleeve. Having a fully-functional stomach is not something to take lightly, and, should you need it, it's much easier to revise a Sleeve to a full DS on down the road.

pineview01
on 8/23/13 12:50 pm - Davison, MI

You do realize only about 1/3 of the people with RNY dump, right!  So if that is a reason I wouldn't count on it.  On the other hand my sister and I are both sugar sensitive with the sleeve and the DD is to to a lesser degree.  We can all handle a tad of sugar but more makes us feel ill to the stomach.

Also you have the same stats for regain with the sleeve and rny so that isn't a reason either.  Many doctors are now saying the rny will most likely not be the "gold standard" once a large number of surgeons are doing the other surgeries in larger numbers.

Good luck with your choice!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tdbull
on 8/22/13 2:06 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I just had my band revised to RNY. The determining factor is that I had severe acid reflux with the band. The sleeve won't cure this, but RNY will.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active