RNY - DS

juleskar
on 8/22/13 2:41 pm
Ok, this is probably the stupidest question ever, but if someone wasn't losing as much weight as they'd and their surgeon wanted, and the villi in the intestines had grown back so they were no longer malabsorbing fats, carbs and protein, why don't surgeons "revise" the intestines, so they mimick the DS and leave the pouch portion of the RNY alone?
I've seen posts where the surgeons completely reverse the RNY, then do the VSG/DS.
Just curious..
Thank you in advance for your answers!!
MsBatt
on 8/23/13 1:58 am

Some surgeons do. This is called an ERNY or a distal RNY, and I've heard it described as the worst parts of both surgeries---but someone who has one.

The trouble is that this configuration gives the high degree of malabsorption of the DS, without the ability to eat like the DS. This leads to some serious issues with vitamin and mineral deficiency in some patients.

The beauty of doing a 'true' RNY-to-DS revision is getting the pylorus back. Having a fully-functional stomach is a very good thing.

juleskar
on 8/23/13 1:53 pm
Thank you, MsBatt, for your reply. It makes complete sense now.
Member Services
on 8/23/13 2:14 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

Here is a link to several posts asking about RNY - DS.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=rny+vs +ds&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

Good luck

juleskar
on 8/23/13 1:55 pm
Thanks, but no thanks, Member Services. I know the differences between the RNY and DS. That wasn't what my question was.
Most Active