Please help

princess2131
on 8/21/13 2:22 am - champaign, IL

I was sleeves in Chicago by doctor Elli in January and up to date I only lost 33 pound very frustrated my sleeve was a revision from band to sleeve. Despite, I have seen successful revision why not me ? I had the revision to be healthy but it seems like it won't happen. My diabetes and blood pressure never went on remission. I went see my surgeon two month ago he assure to me that I had a good sleeve Really a good one ??? So why Am I struggling yo lose the weight then. I am stuck in 195 the scale don't move much it goes up and down and stay in the same weight for month. The funny things is that I don't eat much. When I had the sleeve I was told I will be 130lb not even close to that. It just unfortunate how I lost a part of my body to gain nothing. I had to have iron infusion last week and my protein was low although I drink about 60 g of protein a day. I just don't know what to do it some what very embarrassing hearing your friend saying you have not loss much. Well that my dilemma hopefully someone with the same situation that over come it will help me out. Sometime I wonder I my sleeve was done right but who am I to know since I am not a doctor please I need good advise.

CATHIE210
on 8/21/13 5:31 am

same thing happened to me...apparently it is much slower with revision..for some of us..even on liquids i didnt lose..sounds like you are in the same boat as i am..metabolism is very messed up or something! i cannot complain since my surgery was free as i am a YALE employee and one of our benefits is free healthcare..but still...free or not if i had known (and there is no way for them to know how each of us will respond to revisions)if i had known this would not do anything for me i am not sure i would have done it..although if it keeps me from gaining then im good...but if i wanted to just diet i wouldnt have bothered with surgery to begin with...it never worked for me..not long anyway.

Lisa O.
on 8/21/13 7:09 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi, 

I don't have any experience based advice for you as I don't have the Sleeve, but I'm curious...Why are you drinking your protein?  Are you eating solid proteins to keep you full?  Liquids go right through the stomach and you may not be getting the full benefit of solid proteins (staying full longer).  

I was a successful band patient until I dilated my pouch, but I know that tracking my food was critical.  I had to change to eating only high quality foods and very few carbs to lose 116 lbs.  Once I let sugar back in to my diet I stopped losing. Period.  

I would recommend tracking everything you put in your mouth, how much and what time of day.  You may see a pattern or gain some other information that will help you adjust your diet.  

Best of luck!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 8/21/13 9:47 am - Vancouver, WA

Revisions tend to lose slower than an original surgery and I agree with Lisa by this time you should be getting the majority of your protein from dense protein like meats not drinking them. You don't say how many calories a day you are eating but most successful sleevers eat between 600-1000 a day and most of it is solid protein and protein drinks are used just to up the protein amount if needed. Sixty grams of protein is on the low end, many eat 80-100 grams of dense protein a day plus a minimum of 64 oz. of water. Water is also a key to losing. Like Lisa I always lose best when I journal my food, either in a notebook or an on line place like MyFitnessPal or SparklePeople. It is so easy to forget what and how much we eat so tracking is really essential. I'm also a firm believer in low carb eating, get rid of the white flour and sugar products and even watch the carbs in your veggies because things like carrot and green peas have a lot of natural sugars in them that aren't the best for weight loss. Now do I do all these things all the time? Nope but when I start getting off track (like now) I take the steps to get back on the ball and log my food again, it works every time. So you may want to spend some time on the sleeve forum and read the "what are you eating today" for ideas and I wish you the very best, remember slow and steady wins the race just like the turtle and the rabbit story!

pineview01
on 8/21/13 11:47 am, edited 8/21/13 11:49 am - Davison, MI

I also had my revision in January.  Keep in mind you most likely weighed less when you got the sleeve than when you got the band right?  So if you are starting lower you will lose less than someone starting with a lot more weight.

I also upped my protein to 100-120g of protein as was recommended by my therapist (RNY) and the old nutritionist from when I was banded.  I try to get most of my protein from solid food, fish, meat and poultry, usually 60-100g.  I only use liquid protein to supplement to get enough.  That would also account for you needing iron, not enough red meat.

I started my WLS at a BMI of 47 and was sleeved at BMI of 37.  That is a big reason I am losing slower.  You can't compare yourself to somebody needing to lose 200 pounds if you only need to lose 70.  I can't believe they told you that you would get to a certain wight.  Are you sure they weren't using the 130 as you normal to figure your % you can expect to lose?  For the sleeve they took my "normal" 150 from the starting weight of 230.  This means my EWL is 80 pounds and I should be expected to lose 60% or 42 pounds and that put my "success goal" at 182, just overweight, and I have met and surpassed that.  When banded my "success goal" was set at 215.still obese!  I hit that and was considered a success with my band.

So my advise is to measure and log everything you eat.  Keep your protein over 100g and water up to about 100oz

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 8/22/13 4:01 am

With diabetes, you really should have had the full DS, not just the Sleeve. Fortunately, adding the 'Switch' isn't all that difficult---if you see a true DS surgeon. (98% of diabetics go into permanent remission after the DS.)

Most Active