Considering RNY to DS in DALLAS, TX area...ANY SURGEON SUGGESTIONS?

allysonjanean
on 8/21/13 1:01 am, edited 8/21/13 1:09 am - Desoto, TX

Hi Everyone,

I had RNY in August 2005 with Dr. John Alverdy in Chicago and had success; went from 378 Surgery weight all the way to 203 by January 2008. However, it is August 2013 and I weigh 293.  I now live in the DFW area and I certainly know that any surgery is risky and not all Bariatric surgeons are proficient in revisions. I saw a list from an OH member named Whit who listed a Dr. Stewart, in TX as one of the few trusted surgeons in the country who do the RNY to DS revision. However, I just found out that Dr. Stewart passed away suddenly in July 2013.

Are there other RNY to DS revision surgeons in the DFW area that you recommend? Dr. Provost? Dr. Castro? Can you offer some insight?  I am back to a BMI of 44.5 and at my WITS end! Thanks for your help! 

Allyson

rj0274
on 8/21/13 2:48 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

Welcome to DFW!  I too had an RNY in 2005 and just had an RNY revision about 7 weeks ago.  I used Dr. John Alexander at the Alexander Center located on 75 Central Expressway and Forest Lane.  Dr. Alexander and his staff were great.  He was very thorough in explaining options and his staff made the navigation through insurance, testing, etc. as easy as possible.

The surgery was conducted at the Forest Park Medical Center which was absolutely gorgeous and the hospital staff was amazing.  I would highly recommend Dr. Alexander if you're considering a revision since he is one of the few bariatric surgeons in the DFW area who specializes in revision procedures.

Just an FYI regarding revisions, you may not lose weight as quickly as you did with your original procedure.  You really have to work on food choices and exercise to make this one work; although like most revision patients, you probably have a pretty good idea of where you went wrong following your first surgery which can help in repeating the same mistakes.

Good luck!

LadyLucky
on 8/21/13 4:23 am - KS
Allyson,
A similar situation was recently posted on the DS forum. Check that out. As I understand it, the key is to find a surgeon who has experience specifically with RNY to DS revisions because they are the most complicated. And there are only a few qualified ones in the U.S.

Good luck!
pineview01
on 8/21/13 8:55 am - Davison, MI

Dr. Stewart was the only one in TX.  He will be sorely missed.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 8/22/13 4:04 am
There are very few surgeons capable of doing a true RNY-to-DS revision they are:   Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil
  Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum are also experienced surgeons, but please use caution, and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!
chunkymonkey123
on 12/23/13 4:50 am

I am very much like the original poster. I had RNY back in 2004 with good results, but have gradually started to regain weight and am considering a revision.  I have an appointment with Dr. Provost scheduled in January 2014.  I am wanting a DS and understand that he doesn't do those, so I may cancel.  I am seeking a local surgeon to do this, but have just learned that Dr. Stewart passed away. 

I went to the DSFacts website and they list Erik Wilson, MD *
Email: [email protected]

UT Houston
6700 West Loop South, Ste 500
Bellaire, TX 77401
Phone: 713-892-5500
Fax: 713-871-0071

Has anyone had any experience with him?  Why isn't he listed on the original posted list?  What is the criteria for making the "true RNY-DS Revision" list?  Dr. Stewart had a partner who (according to the website) will perform the surgery.  Why isn't he listed?  Does anyone have experience with him?  His name is

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S.  When I originally began doing research on WLS back in the 90s, I wanted a DS.  I read that it was the surgery that really worked.  My doctor said that it was too "risky" and that the RNY was the "gold standard" for WLS.  I did have good success for a while and kept the weight off for a long time, but never reached my ideal weight. (Although greatly improved).  Why do doctors hesitate to perform the surgery. 

yoyo0212
on 1/1/14 4:46 am, edited 1/1/14 4:46 am

Hi allysonjanean did you find a surgeon?

Most Active