Revision for dumping syndrome with reactive hypo

Misty1980
on 8/19/13 9:04 am - edwards, CA
Hi I'm 6 1/2 years out from RNY and I have late dumping with reactive hypo. I can only eat meat, nuts a few veggies .I just started getting sick about 2 mos ago. I also get iron infusions. I can't live a normal life no more cant even work right now and I'm 32 yrs old. So I was wondering if anyone on here has had a revision for something similar ? The Drs on base are no help and I finally got referred to UCSF. I really don't want to live like this the rest of my life
MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 6:02 am

I have some of the same problems. I had supposedly a distal RNY in 2000.  But who knows since my initial surgeon has had problems with correct documentation.  But I still believe that he did the best for me that was available at that time.  He was the best back then,  I still dump really really bad.  I cannot eat very many solid foods, I cannot eat meat.  I have been anemic for 12 of the 13 years since surgery until last year when I had 6 iron transfusions.  I am trying to get a revision to a DS. I was approved to revise to the sleeve which will do bupkiss for my weight or diabetes. I think most people might say that you should look into the DS.  Unfortunately, if you have Tricare for military they don't pay for the DS because the consider in investigational.. That is what someone told me but you would have to find out for yourself for sure. I would go to the DS message board and post this also.  Before coming on here again, I was happily going to take my stupid little sleeve that I knew would do no good since my pouch is still very small.  Good luck. 

MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 6:09 am

Plus you are so Lucky due to the fact that you are in CA makes it so much better for you. TWO of the best revision doctors in the world are in CA.  People from ALL OVER TEH WORLD go to California to see doctor Rabkin and Dr. Ara Keshishian.  They have done tons of the RNY to DS surgeries.  I myself am planning on using Dr. K.

Misty1980
on 8/20/13 7:03 am - edwards, CA
Thanks so much for the reply . Triwest insurance has now went to United military so hoping better luck. I did look Dr Rabkin up and I know I can at least see him because he is on my provider list. I'm sorry for your hard road. I so so not want to live the rest of my days like this
MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 7:14 am

I still believe my first surgery was successful I am still down 150 of the 220 I lost but I just know what I go through doesn't have to be. Plus i haven't taken the 8 insulin shots i used to take a day since surgery.  The main thing is during the developing years of my childrens life i was there for them and was able to do what they needed.  So i am thankful for my first surgery. Good luck!  according to the veteran DS people on this sight if anyone can help you one of those Dr can.  Plus the fact they are right there in your home state is a God sent!

Misty1980
on 8/20/13 7:22 am - edwards, CA
Thanks 😊
Most Active