Scared of Revision

auntylinda
on 8/13/13 3:51 am - CT

I had a realize band in 2008. I initially lost 100lbs eating no carbs at all. Eventually, no matter how much fluid they took out I would vomit and it got to the point that I was vomiting blood. They took all my fluid out, but the surgeon would not remove the band. I have moved across the company with new insurance and new doctors. They are suggesting I have the band removed, but they also would like me to have another surgery.

The reason I chose the band was because it seemed less invasive and it wasn't reversible in case of an issue. Well, I had an issue, so now I am not sure what to do.

I guess I don't have a specific question, but advice would be appreciated.

Member Services
on 8/13/13 6:30 am - Irvine, CA

We are so sorry for all you are going through.  What procedure has the surgeons suggest is best for you?  Research all your options and ask questions from members on the forums.  Here are some links for the different surgery types.

Good Luck

Layleigh
on 8/13/13 4:05 pm - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

Hi sweetie! I don't have any answers per say, but I do believe you've come to the right place! I just wanted to send some positive vibes your way, and let you know i'm root'n for ya!

Sara10
on 8/13/13 6:37 pm

Sorry to hear about this.  I am also a lap bander and have not had much success.  I have only lost weight when my band was so tight that I was throwing up all the time.  My surgeon unfilled me so many times urgently and now has suggested I do revision surgery as well.  He thinks bypass is the best option. Have meetings with the team this week I will let you know any information I find out.

tdbull
on 8/14/13 7:06 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Just had revision due to same complications. Still healing and on clear liquids. I couldn't live with the band any longer.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

saterry
on 8/15/13 4:48 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I am being revised Oct 3rd after 15 years with a band/gastroplasty. BMI is 38, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholestrol. Meds for all of it.

I want to live and live well. All the risks for my RNY are far less than the risks of complications from disease.

It is a personal decision and everyone has to make this on their own. It is your journey but we are here for advice and ideas !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

rtm
on 8/16/13 11:01 am - NY
VSG on 08/20/13

Sorry you're going through this.  Vomiting blood does not sound fun at all. 

My revision surgeon said something interesting to me.  He said that the band is not reversible, it's removable.  So many of us got this band thinking that it could just be taken out if necessary and that everything would just return to the way it was.  However, it's not true.  Many of us have had our stomach and esophagus changed permanently from having the band, with scar tissue, dilation, etc.  Thinking about it that way, a revision became a much easier decision for me.  Suddenly the idea of someone removing part of my stomach so that I could stop getting stuck and vomiting on a daily basis, but continue to have a tool to help me didn't seem as scary.  Good luck in your journey!

marfar7
on 8/21/13 9:36 am - OR
When my band herniated after 4 yrs, I chose the sleeve over RNY because my bmi was only 28 (174 lbs) and I think the RNY is too drastic to do just to lose 44 lbs. But I knew I'd gain all the 104 lbs back that I had lost with my band if I didn't revise to something else. It's why I had wls to begin with - I couldn't do it myself. Hate dieting. Hate counting calories or carbs. The band allowed me to eat whatever I wanted, just less of it. Loved my band until it slipped.

Now I'm 5 weeks post op sleeve revision. I have restriction immediately, instead of waiting for my 3rd fill (4 mths) to get to the elusive "sweet spot". I've lost 17 lbs and gone from a 28 to a 26 bmi. pretty happy with the sleeve. However, not sure I can no longer tolerate ice cream. had about 6 bites of it last nite and I had stomach cramping and diarrhea. Even this morning my stomach was grumbly. I'm bummed. Maybe i'll try it again in a few months. Or maybe frozen yogurt will work?

can't imagine my life without ice cream!

Good luck with ur decision. Check out verticalsleevetalk.com. There's a band to sleeve revision board there with much support!

Marci

Post band to sleeve revision July 16, 2013

PW: 248 CW:157 GW:130

Most Active