Band to sleeve 2 months ago. Almost no weight loss. Very frustrated.

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 3:56 am

When surgeons that are not revision surgeons do a band to sleeve often times due to a fear of leaks they do not remove the scar tissue from the band.  When they leave that scar tissue the bottom line is that the patient ends up with a mega sleeve.  Not so good for our population.  If we could do this without restriction, we wouldn't have had surgery to begin with, right?

First thing is first, get an upper GI (barium swallow) and lets see the facts on film.  See just how big your sleeve is.  Then we go from there.

richj
on 8/19/13 4:14 am

Thank you so much for your reply.

For the heck of it I just  did a "cottage cheese test" - 

I was able to easily eat 16 oz before I started getting some stop signals.  That was within 5-10 minutes.  I probably could have eaten more - but I figured that wasn't a good idea.

In all honesty - I did feel a slight hint of satiety at 10 oz - but nothing like any kind of restriction or fullness.  And then again it could just be the who-the-hell-wants-to-eat-that-much-cottage-cheese reaction. :)

For the upper GI - I guess I'm going to have to shop around.  I don't have very good insurance right now (I'm between jobs and only have catastrophic care type stuff) - I can't afford a GI with barium swallow like I did just before the surgery. That on cost me over $800.  That was the first time I threw up related to the surgery.  

I can't believe my surgeon wouldn't be experienced with revisions and avoid the scar tissue - but that may be true.  I'm going to ask him.  He has done many revisions and my assumption was he knew what he was doing.

Thanks again.

Any tips on discount GIs are appreciated.

Rich

CATHIE210
on 8/19/13 5:38 am

WELLLLLL..i had my revision done 06.04.2013 and also, only lost 16lbs at first..even on liquids i was not losing weight so that right there told me something was wrong..i believe my metabolism is so messed up that it wont matter if i eat 300-500-1200 calories, i am not going to lose weight for some reason..my dr said he thought i would have lost more by my appt too..oh really? because i am not a virgin sleeve and my cousins that he did were, one lost 165lbs and her sister is already down 56 lbs since march..of course here i am with no loss since the 2nd week..it doesnt matter if i exercise or not either... i really messed up my body with these surgeries and throwing up and what not...so im not about to have the gastric bypass..i have no co morbidities (on blood pressure meds for borderline bloodpressure which is fine every time) so i guess i will be stuck at the 225lb mark LOL its not funny but it is..doing all this to my body to NOT get under 200lbs!! ONLY ME!!!!!

richj
on 8/19/13 5:49 am

I'm sorry your having difficulties - but - I am happy that I am not alone.  Does that make sense?  I wouldn't wish this frustration on anyone.  

Let's stay in touch since we are having very similar experiences.  It's likely if one of us finds something that is helpful, it may work for the other.  

I just sent another message to my surgeon with the latest info.  I'll let you know what he says.  In the meantime, I am considering surgery #3 (as a backup-backup plan) - the Duodenal Switch - It is usually done in combo with the VSG when it is done - but since I already have the VSG - I am hoping the surgery will be simpler.   

But that is months and months away.  For now - I am trying to hone in on my sense of appetite & hunger.  I believe these have been effected by the band experience.  

HEY GRAD STUDENTS- HERE'S A STUDY FOR YOU - "The effects of a gastric sleeve revision of the lap band on perceived hunger and appetite."   - could probably learn something about appetite from this that could contribute to the body of research.

CATHIE210
on 8/19/13 6:04 am

DEFINITELY~ however you are a male im assuming? lol and you will probably end up losing, men always lose! my husband does 1200 cals and loses..of course he is only 190lbs and 5-7 so for him he is happier at 180 but can go upto 200 (because im italian and an excellent cook lololol) its hard to talk to anyone about this because they just assume my calories are too high or because im not exercising..nope its not that because even when i did exercise i wasnt losing..my body is doing something..i cant figure it out..im losing inches because my clothes feel looser..sooo what is going on??? i do retain fluid but not enough to keep me staying at this weight..come on...i can see a few lbs every week but not staying at the same weight all this time..because some days i wake up and i have no fluid signs in my feet..and weigh the same thing as last week..i know daily it fluctuates with the fluid but when i was on fluids those 2 weeks..i should have lost mad weight lol i had gained 8 lbs of IV fluid and i lost that but then that was it..sugar free popcicles and broth and slim fast..that was it..and it was only 2 ounces of slim fast 3 times a day..so how did i not lose at least then? then on to mushies..could not eat a lot so even when i did eat mashed potatos it was a few spoons..nothing high caloric..see what i mean? should have lost at least another 20lbs by now..ohh im pmsing right now and i ate poptarts this morning!!! because i was mad lol hahahahaha i figured im not losing weight anyway what the hell :P   (bit my nose to spite my face)

CATHIE210
on 8/19/13 6:05 am
MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 7:01 am

Cathie,

Sorry you having so many problems.  But it has only been two weeks. Don't be so hard on yourself.  If their is a problem its not your fault if you are following the guidelines and doing as you are supposed to.  But remember revisions loose slower from what they say.  But still has only been two weeks. when was the last time you lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks?  SHOOT ILL TAKE IT.  You cant compare surgeries with different people.  Because every ones body is different and if they were virgin WLS they loose faster.  Don't be so hard on yourself plus from what I read when i was going to have the sleeve some people gain a lot of water weight after surgery because of pouch swelling. But 16 pounds loss in 2 weeks sounds good to  me when I have my revision I hope to be that successful at the 2 week mark!

MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 6:48 am

Be very careful you don't want to figure out how to out smart the surgery with the slider foods and water.  Since I have problem eating solid foods and fat I totally learned how to out smart the surgery and outsmarted myself back into the 80 pounds of the 220 that I lost. I know how much sugar I could eat before i would be ready to pass out from dumping.  I know how much fat I could eat before I get sick.  All those slider easy fixes help you to pick up calories and quick.  I am the person if we have a complete chicken meal with potatoes and a vegetable I only eat the vegetable and potatoes.  I have been only eating the soft slider/side dishes  for 13 years.  They say I maladapted to the surgery and got stuck in the soft phase.  So here I am now 13 years later my pouch is still very small and in tact but I am gaining weight because i never learned to eat the main thing we need(PROTEINS). Apparently since every time i tried to eat meat in the beginning subconsciously I just X meat and solids out all together.  I say all that to tell you if you are finding yourself having the non beneficial eating behaviors this early its not a very good sign and you may end up like me never learning to eat appropriately to use you same tool for life having to get a revision. After I had my original surgery I was so concerned about my children being obese I would always tell my children       " We eat to live not live to eat'. So when i cooked something they really liked they wouldn't gorge themselves as I used to before surgery because I really liked.  Good luck

pineview01
on 8/20/13 1:23 pm - Davison, MI

Going Band to sleeve can be hard mentally because of what we learned was restriction.  It is so, so important to measure everything before you eat.  Some are lucky and come out of surgery without hunger, but for most you have just had your stomach cut from end to end and along with it the nerve endings.  Most come out not being able to "feel" full and will overeat if you don't measure.  You can really cause problems if you continue to overstuff your sleeve.

Having "failed" with the band sets us up to think we will fail this and somehow our sleeve isn't going to work.  I was 2/3 moths out before I started to "feel" full if I overeat.  Not a good feeling.

Drop back and measure and eat solid protein first.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active