Lap band out! 6 weeks till bypass!

Aussie_julz
on 8/11/13 9:09 am - Australia
Hi everyone just wanting some advice! Has anyone else out there had their bands removed and had to wait for their next surgery? A friend of mine had to wait 3 months and gained 30 kilos (66 pounds ) I can't believe that after 6 years I have no restriction and can eat anything I want it's so overwhelming all the foods I once craved can become my best friend again !! Any advice how to get though the next 6 weeks emotionally as well as physically?
Member Services
on 8/11/13 9:35 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Aussie,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through.  Please be sure and post this on the Lap Band forum too.

tdbull
on 8/11/13 9:41 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Did you ask why they can't do revision surgery at the same time? I am having my band removed and RNY on Tuesday, along with having my gallbladder removed. I have been unfilled for 6 weeks and have gained 5lbs, so don't have any advice about not eating everything. I am eating fruit like crazy because I literally haven't been able to eat more than a bite of fruit at a time for the past 4 years. Good luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

TamaraL
on 8/11/13 11:01 am

i had mine in one surgery but knew there was a possibility I would have had to have 2 surgeries due to  scar tissue or damage to the stomach from the band. that was my worst fear.

Just because you can eat bad things does not mean you should.  Maybe try to eat good 6 days and then 1 day eat whatever.  Remember that your journey is not done and this is a stepping stone.

T

Lisa O.
on 8/12/13 2:58 am - Snoqualmie, WA

It's difficult.  I had my band removed in May and have gained 30 lbs in 3 months!  I'm shocked how fast it came back on, but I have been out of control without the tool to help me with portion size.   The stress of gaining weight and deciding to revise or not doesn't help and makes me want to eat more!  It's a crazy, sick, vicious circle!  I will have a revision to RNY (if insurance approves). At least now my BMI is back to 40 so I shouldn't have a problem qualifying.  The weight gain has tapered off  now but I was out of control for a while there.

Do you best to not test the waters by eating things the band wouldn't allow you to eat before.  That was my downfall, bread and pasta.

Hang in there!

Lisa

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Aussie_julz
on 8/12/13 7:56 am - Australia
Thanks for your replies ! The reason my surgery wasn't done all in one operation was at the time my band was taken out I was going to do the sleeve and my doctor doesn't do band to sleeve in one hit! .... Now I have decided that I want the bypass , had I wanted this from the start he could have done band to bypass in one operation. Oh well there is no use getting upset about it now what's done is done I just have to make sure I eat right and excersise daily ! The band made me vommit a lot and gave me terrible reflux for the first time in a long time I have had wonderful sleeps without the reflux affecting me! That's one positive! Lol
Katie H.
on 8/16/13 2:20 pm - NC

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, I'm having my band out soon (waiting to hear from insurance before scheduling, doing pre-op testing now) and I think I've about decided that I am going to revise to RNY afterwards. My doctor said that we were going to give my stomach time to heal from having my band removed so that we could make sure there was nothing wrong with the stomach itself before moving forward with another WLS. 

I have had acid reflux, lots of painful swallowing and stomach swelling with my band in, hence the caution. I'm actually really glad that I have the opportunity to do it this way, because if there was something wrong with my stomach and we just pushed ahead with RNY immediately following the removal of the band, it could mean really big trouble for me in the long run. (: Look forward to hearing more about your journey and wishing you the best of luck!

MSSEXXC74
on 8/16/13 2:52 pm

Im happy but sad for you.  Can you go on some type of apetite suppressant. I know how u feel kind of. That's exactly how i felt when my dr said he was going to convert my rny to a sleeve. I was like if my pouch Is small how is making it larger and making my intestines absorb food again going to make me loose weight.

MSSEXXC

Most Active